Michigan Suspends Trio Ahead of Outback Bowl
Ann Arbor, MI
Michigan coach Brady Hoke has suspended three players, including two starters, from the Outback Bowl against South Carolina for violation of team rules.
Hoke said starting cornerback J.T. Floyd and punter Will Hagerup together with senior linebacker Bradin Hawthorne will not travel to Tampa, Florida when the Wolverines take on the Gamecocks on New Year's Day.
"It is an honor to play football for the University of Michigan and we have high standards and expectations for everyone that represents our program," Michigan coach Brady Hoke said in a statement.
Hoke said the three used poor judgment in each circumstance, adding that "these suspensions are teaching moments for our team".
The suspension will end Floyd and Hawthorne's stint with Michigan on a sour note. Floyd was a two-year starter at cornerback for Michigan, recording 179 tackles, 18 pass breakups and three interceptions.
Hawthorne played mostly on special teams but saw some action as linebacker last season. In his career, he made 63 tackles and had one interception.
Hagerup, who was named the Big Ten's punter of the year this season, averaged 45 yards a punt this year with a long of 62 yards.
This is the third time in his career Hagerup has been suspended. He was suspended for the 2010 Ohio State game and the first four games of the 2011 season.
- Garrett Gilbert Shines, SMU Crushes Fresno State in Hawaii Bowl
- Clutch Field Goals Lift LA-Lafayette to New Orleans Bowl Win
- Bortles Lifts Central Florida Past Ball State in Beef 'O' Brady's Bowl
- Kyle Van Noy leads BYU Over San Diego State in Poinsettia Bowl
- Chicago Prep Basketball Star Jabari Parker Picks Duke
- Stanford Gives Football Coach David Shaw Contract Extension
- Les Miles Most Popular College Football Coach on Twitter
- Gary Andersen Leaves Utah State to Lead Wisconsin Football Program
- Martin and Nix to Stay at Notre Dame for Another Year
- Notre Dame Caught Off-Guard by Seven Schools Bolting Big East
- Jim Boeheim Earns 900th Win as Syracuse Downs Detroit
- Michigan Suspends Trio Ahead of Outback Bowl
- Arizona Bounces Back from 21-Point Deficit, Wins New Mexico Bowl
- Seven Basketball Schools, Including Georgetown, to Leave Big East
- Kliff Kingsbury New Football Coach at Texas Tech
- Alabama Quarterback AJ McCarron to Return for Senior Season
- Bryan Harsin Tabbed Arkansas State Football Coach
- Texas Coach Mack Brown Promotes Wyatt to Co-offensive Coordinator
- Western Kentucky Hires Bobby Petrino as Head Football Coach
- Colorado Tabs Mike MacIntyre as Football Coach
- Frosh Choice: Texas A&M Quarterback Manziel Captures Heisman
- Big Ten Expansion Meant to Keep Penn State
- Alvarez Makes One-Day Coaching Comeback for Wisconsin
- Football Coach Charlie Strong Stays with Louisville
- Darrell Hazell is New Purdue Football Coach
- Football Coach Mike Gundy to Stay at Oklahoma State
- Bielema Takes Arkansas Football Post; Malzahn to Coach Auburn
Copyright © 2012 AHN - All Rights Reserved