Gary Andersen Leaves Utah State to Lead Wisconsin Football Program
Utah State Aggies football coach Gary Andersen will take over the coaching job at Wisconsin.
The Wisconsin State Journal, citing sources, said Andersen was athletic director Barry Alvarez's top choice to succeed Bret Bielema, who left to take the Arkansas job. Andersen had shrugged off interest from several other schools.
However, a state job in Wisconsin can only be filled two weeks after posting, which means the appointment of Andersen can't be officially announced by the school until Thursday.
Andersen is coming off a phenomenal fourth season at Utah State where his Aggies won 11 games for the first time in school history and finished in the top ten in yards per play offense and defense. They only lost to Wisconsin, 16-14, and BYU, 6-3.
He also coached Utah State to its first bowl victory in 19 seasons on Saturday, a 41-15 triumph over Toledo in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl.
In four years at Utah State, he was 27-24, including this season's 11-2 mark.
Prior to Utah State, Andersen was an assistant at Utah from 2004-08 (defensive coordinator from 2005-08), head coach at Southern Utah in 2003 and an assistant at Utah from 1997-2002.
- Garrett Gilbert Shines, SMU Crushes Fresno State in Hawaii Bowl
- Clutch Field Goals Lift LA-Lafayette to New Orleans Bowl Win
- Bortles Lifts Central Florida Past Ball State in Beef 'O' Brady's Bowl
- Kyle Van Noy leads BYU Over San Diego State in Poinsettia Bowl
- Chicago Prep Basketball Star Jabari Parker Picks Duke
- Stanford Gives Football Coach David Shaw Contract Extension
- Les Miles Most Popular College Football Coach on Twitter
- Gary Andersen Leaves Utah State to Lead Wisconsin Football Program
- Martin and Nix to Stay at Notre Dame for Another Year
- Notre Dame Caught Off-Guard by Seven Schools Bolting Big East
- Jim Boeheim Earns 900th Win as Syracuse Downs Detroit
- Michigan Suspends Trio Ahead of Outback Bowl
- Arizona Bounces Back from 21-Point Deficit, Wins New Mexico Bowl
- Seven Basketball Schools, Including Georgetown, to Leave Big East
- Kliff Kingsbury New Football Coach at Texas Tech
- Alabama Quarterback AJ McCarron to Return for Senior Season
- Bryan Harsin Tabbed Arkansas State Football Coach
- Texas Coach Mack Brown Promotes Wyatt to Co-offensive Coordinator
- Western Kentucky Hires Bobby Petrino as Head Football Coach
- Colorado Tabs Mike MacIntyre as Football Coach
- Frosh Choice: Texas A&M Quarterback Manziel Captures Heisman
- Big Ten Expansion Meant to Keep Penn State
- Alvarez Makes One-Day Coaching Comeback for Wisconsin
- Football Coach Charlie Strong Stays with Louisville
- Darrell Hazell is New Purdue Football Coach
- Football Coach Mike Gundy to Stay at Oklahoma State
- Bielema Takes Arkansas Football Post; Malzahn to Coach Auburn
Copyright © 2012 AHN - All Rights Reserved