Marion Grice Runs for Three TDs, Arizona State Tops Arizona
Junior running back Marion Grice rushed for three touchdowns as Arizona State downed in-state rival No. 24 Arizona, 41-34, to capture the Territorial Cup at Arizona Stadium.
Grice finished with a career-high 156 yards on 18 rushes for the Sun Devils, who overcame a 10-point deficit in the fourth period to clinch their second straight win and improve to 7-5 (5-4 PAC 12).
Grice raised his season's total to 17 scores and needs one more to move into the top four for touchdowns in a season. He also leads the nation in receiving touchdowns for a running back with eight and is tied for 11th in the nation in total touchdowns.
With the victory, the Sun Devils will officially be going to a bowl game and will await their next opponent that will likely be decided after the Pac-12 Championships game next Saturday.
Taylor Kelly finished 16-for-29 for 191 yards, Cameron Marshall added an eight-yard touchdown run and Jon Mora buried two field goals for the Sun Devils.
Linebacker Brandon Magee had a career-high 17 tackles, including 14 tackles, to increase his total to 104 tackles on the season and become the first Sun Devil to have more than 100 tackles since Robert James had 106 in 2007.
Matt Scott outplayed Kelly, completing 19 of 39 passes for 230 yards and three touchdowns but had three interceptions for the Wildcats (7-5, 4-5 PAC 12).
Scott staked the Wildcats to a 27-17 lead after a 40-yard touchdown pass to Garic Wharton and a 23-yard field goal by John Bonano in the fourth period.
However, Grice's four-yard scoring run in the fourth period sparked the Sun Devils' 24-point assault to take a 41-27 lead that they protected until the end.
Scott tried to spark a comeback with a 17-yard touchdown pass to David Richards but time ran out on the Wildcats.
- Notre Dame Survives USC, Secures Spot in BCS Championship Game
- Riddick, Brindza Lift No. 1 Notre Dame Into BCS Title Game
- Aaron Murray Throws Two TDs; Georgia Rips Rival Georgia Tech
- College Football Coaching Trio Dumped After Disappointing Seasons
- BCS Championship on the Line for Notre Dame
- Marion Grice Runs for Three TDs, Arizona State Tops Arizona
- LSU's SEC Championship Bid Alive After Win over Arkansas
- Burkhead Carries Nebraska over Iowa, Into Big Ten Title Game
- Morehead State Suspends Coach Sean Woods for One Game
- Jack Taylor Nets Record 138 Points in Division III Hoops
- NCAA Investigating Auburn Football on Recruitment
- ESPN to Broadcast College Football Playoff Games Starting 2014
- Rutgers Leaves Big East to Join Big Ten
- Georgia Savors Chance for BCS Football Title
- Shoulder Injury Shelves Southern Cal Quarterback Matt Barkley
- Minnesota Coach Kill Shrugs Off Wideout's Abuse Accusations
- Tennessee Terminates Coach Dooley After Loss to Vandy
- Martin and Florence Star as Baylor Upsets Number 1 Kansas State
- Notre Dame Beats Wake Forest 38-0
- Gillislee and Sturgis Lead Florida over Jacksonville State
- Wes Cobb Runs for Two TDs, Air Force Shuts Down Hawaii
- NCAA Extends Tennessee Football Probation Two More Years
- ACC and Orange Bowl Reach 12-Year Agreement Starting 2015
- ESPN Inks Deal to Air Sugar Bowl Through 2026
- Big East Football to Use 2-Division Format
- Notre Dame Coach Brian Kelly Picks Irish as No. 1
- Manziel Passes for Two Scores, Texas A&M Stuns Alabama
- BCS Commissioners Likely to Push for Six-Bowl Format
- Mariota Throws Six TD Passes as Oregon Crushes California
- Florida Edges Louisiana-Lafayette with Jenkins Heroics
- Shaw Throws Two Scoring Strikes As South Carolina Rips Arkansas
- Nassib Shines as Syracuse Deals Louisville Its First Loss
- TCU coach Gary Patterson Trains Sights on Kansas State
- Kentucky to Replace Football Coach Joker Phillips at Season's End
Copyright © 2012 AHN - All Rights Reserved