LSU's SEC Championship Bid Alive After Win over Arkansas
Zach Mettenberger completed 16 of 29 passes for 217 yards with one touchdown as the LSU Tigers' 10-point halftime lead proved just enough to nail a 20-13 win against the Arkansas Razorbacks Friday at Razorback Stadium.
The No. 7 ranked LSU wrapped up their regular-season on a winning note, finishing with a 10-2 slate after holding off a rally from the Razorbacks.
Despite a rough first half of action, the Tigers head into their locker room with a 10-point lead, thanks to a 49-yard field goal from Drew Alleman and a 22-yard TD play by wideout Jarvis Landry from Mettenberger in the winding minutes of the second quarter.
LSU appeared to be cruising to a routine victory following a one-yard TD run by Jeremy Hill to extend the Tigers' lead 17-3 in the third quarter.
Arkansas wouldn't go down without a fight as Razorbacks quarterback Tyler Wilson fired a 28-yard TD pass to Mekale McKay before the end of the third and John Henson converted a field goal to reduce LSU's advantage to five points, 17-13, with 12:17 to play.
But LSU defense stepped at the most crucial time, shutting down the seemingly rolling Arkansas offense to nab a much needed win on the road.
Wilson threw 31-for-52 for 359 yards with one TD and an interception for the Razorbacks, who finished with a mediocre 4-8 slate.
LSU still has a chance of playing in the SEC Championships if Alabama losses to Auburn and Texas A&M beats Missouri.
- Notre Dame Survives USC, Secures Spot in BCS Championship Game
- Riddick, Brindza Lift No. 1 Notre Dame Into BCS Title Game
- Aaron Murray Throws Two TDs; Georgia Rips Rival Georgia Tech
- College Football Coaching Trio Dumped After Disappointing Seasons
- BCS Championship on the Line for Notre Dame
- Marion Grice Runs for Three TDs, Arizona State Tops Arizona
- LSU's SEC Championship Bid Alive After Win over Arkansas
- Burkhead Carries Nebraska over Iowa, Into Big Ten Title Game
- Morehead State Suspends Coach Sean Woods for One Game
- Jack Taylor Nets Record 138 Points in Division III Hoops
- NCAA Investigating Auburn Football on Recruitment
- ESPN to Broadcast College Football Playoff Games Starting 2014
- Rutgers Leaves Big East to Join Big Ten
- Georgia Savors Chance for BCS Football Title
- Shoulder Injury Shelves Southern Cal Quarterback Matt Barkley
- Minnesota Coach Kill Shrugs Off Wideout's Abuse Accusations
- Tennessee Terminates Coach Dooley After Loss to Vandy
- Martin and Florence Star as Baylor Upsets Number 1 Kansas State
- Notre Dame Beats Wake Forest 38-0
- Gillislee and Sturgis Lead Florida over Jacksonville State
- Wes Cobb Runs for Two TDs, Air Force Shuts Down Hawaii
- NCAA Extends Tennessee Football Probation Two More Years
- ACC and Orange Bowl Reach 12-Year Agreement Starting 2015
- ESPN Inks Deal to Air Sugar Bowl Through 2026
- Big East Football to Use 2-Division Format
- Notre Dame Coach Brian Kelly Picks Irish as No. 1
- Manziel Passes for Two Scores, Texas A&M Stuns Alabama
- BCS Commissioners Likely to Push for Six-Bowl Format
- Mariota Throws Six TD Passes as Oregon Crushes California
- Florida Edges Louisiana-Lafayette with Jenkins Heroics
- Shaw Throws Two Scoring Strikes As South Carolina Rips Arkansas
- Nassib Shines as Syracuse Deals Louisville Its First Loss
- TCU coach Gary Patterson Trains Sights on Kansas State
- Kentucky to Replace Football Coach Joker Phillips at Season's End
Copyright © 2012 AHN - All Rights Reserved