College Football Coaching Trio Dumped After Disappointing Seasons
Firings were the order of the day as Boston College, Auburn and North Carolina State have given their respective head football coaches the boot after disappointing seasons.
North Carolina State terminated coach Tom O'Brien after a disappointing 7-5 season and despite leading the Wolfpack to three straight bowl games.
The Wolfpack have named offensive coordinator Dana Bible interim head coach while all assistants have been retained through at least the bowl.
In his six seasons with the Wolfpack, O'Brien went 40-35 but just 22-26 in the ACC.
Meanwhile, Boston College has announced that Frank Spaziani will not return coach after the Eagles finished 2-10 this season. The disappointing campaign was capped by a 27-10 loss to NC State Saturday.
Spaziani compiled a 22-29 record in his four years at the helm. He recently completed his 16th overall season with the Eagles, the first two as running backs coach and 10 as defensive coordinator.
Two years after leading Auburn to the national title, Gene Chizik was fired by the Tigers after the team finished 3-9 this season, capped by a 49-0 loss to Alabama in the Iron Bowl.
"After careful consideration and a thorough evaluation of our football program, I have recommended that Coach Chizik not be retained," said Auburn Director of Athletics Jay Jacobs. "President Gogue has accepted my recommendation. Earlier this morning, I informed Gene that he will not return as head coach."
Jacobs noted that Coach Chizik has served Auburn with class and dignity, saying he exemplified the ideals of the school's creed throughout his tenure.
In four seasons at Auburn, Chizik guided the Tigers to a 33-19 record, including a 3-9 mark in 2012. Chizik led Auburn to a perfect 14-0 season in 2010 and the BCS National Championship. Auburn was 8-5 in his first season in 2009 and again in 2011.
"I am very grateful for the opportunity that I had during the last four seasons to serve as the head football coach at Auburn University. I'm extremely disappointed with the way this season turned out and I apologize to the Auburn family and our team for what they have had to endure," Chizik said in a statement.
Jacobs will lead a search committee composed of Auburn alumni Mac Crawford, Pat Sullivan and Bo Jackson to look for Chizik's replacement.
- Notre Dame Survives USC, Secures Spot in BCS Championship Game
- Riddick, Brindza Lift No. 1 Notre Dame Into BCS Title Game
- Aaron Murray Throws Two TDs; Georgia Rips Rival Georgia Tech
- College Football Coaching Trio Dumped After Disappointing Seasons
- BCS Championship on the Line for Notre Dame
- Marion Grice Runs for Three TDs, Arizona State Tops Arizona
- LSU's SEC Championship Bid Alive After Win over Arkansas
- Burkhead Carries Nebraska over Iowa, Into Big Ten Title Game
- Morehead State Suspends Coach Sean Woods for One Game
- Jack Taylor Nets Record 138 Points in Division III Hoops
- NCAA Investigating Auburn Football on Recruitment
- ESPN to Broadcast College Football Playoff Games Starting 2014
- Rutgers Leaves Big East to Join Big Ten
- Georgia Savors Chance for BCS Football Title
- Shoulder Injury Shelves Southern Cal Quarterback Matt Barkley
- Minnesota Coach Kill Shrugs Off Wideout's Abuse Accusations
- Tennessee Terminates Coach Dooley After Loss to Vandy
- Martin and Florence Star as Baylor Upsets Number 1 Kansas State
- Notre Dame Beats Wake Forest 38-0
- Gillislee and Sturgis Lead Florida over Jacksonville State
- Wes Cobb Runs for Two TDs, Air Force Shuts Down Hawaii
- NCAA Extends Tennessee Football Probation Two More Years
- ACC and Orange Bowl Reach 12-Year Agreement Starting 2015
- ESPN Inks Deal to Air Sugar Bowl Through 2026
- Big East Football to Use 2-Division Format
- Notre Dame Coach Brian Kelly Picks Irish as No. 1
- Manziel Passes for Two Scores, Texas A&M Stuns Alabama
- BCS Commissioners Likely to Push for Six-Bowl Format
- Mariota Throws Six TD Passes as Oregon Crushes California
- Florida Edges Louisiana-Lafayette with Jenkins Heroics
- Shaw Throws Two Scoring Strikes As South Carolina Rips Arkansas
- Nassib Shines as Syracuse Deals Louisville Its First Loss
- TCU coach Gary Patterson Trains Sights on Kansas State
- Kentucky to Replace Football Coach Joker Phillips at Season's End
Copyright © 2012 AHN - All Rights Reserved