Lacy, McCarron Star as Alabama Tops Georgia for SEC Title
Eddie Lacy ran for a season-high 181 yards and two touchdowns while AJ McCarron threw the go-ahead touchdown pass as No. 2 Alabama bagged the Southeastern Conference title with a close 32-28 victory over third-ranked Georgia Saturday at Georgia Dome.
Lacy rushed for 20 times to eclipse his previous season-high by four yards while freshman rusher T.J. Yeldon added a season-best 153 yards on 25 carries and a touchdown for the Crimson Tide, who will next face No. 1 Notre Dame in the BCS title game on Jan. 7 in Miami.
Led by Lacy and Yeldon, the Crimson Tide rushers finished with 350 yards on 51 carries to post a new SEC championship game record.
McCarron finished 13-for-21 for 162 yards and threw an interception while Amari Cooper tallied 128 yards on eight carries as the Crimson Tide finished the season with a 12-1 record.
Aaron Murray completed 18 of 33 passes for 265 yards and a touchdown and freshman running back Tom Gurley ran for 122 yards on 23 carries and two scores for the Bulldogs (11-2).
The Bulldogs had a chance to clinch the game after reaching the Alabama 5 but time ran out on them, allowing the Crimson Tide to escape with the victory.
Murray struck first, finding Jay Rome for a 19-yard touchdown pass in the second period for a 7-0 advantage.
However, Lacy broke away for a 41-yard touchdown to tie the game before the Crimson Tide took the lead after a 22-yard field goal by Jeremy Shelley.
In the third period, the Bulldogs took a 21-10 lead after a three-yard touchdown run by Gurley and Alec Ogletree's 55-yard return of a blocked field goal.
In response, Yeldon barreled in for a 10-yard touchdown and rammed home a two-point conversion to cut the deficit to 21-18.
Lacy gave Alabama a 25-21 lead with a short scoring burst but it was short-lived as Gurley retaliated with a 10-yard touchdown run for a 28-25 Bulldogs advantage.
Then, McCarron came up big, connecting with Cooper for a 45-yard touchdown run that put the Crimson Tide ahead with less than four minutes remaining.
Alabama celebrates 2012 SEC title
- Western Kentucky Hires Bobby Petrino as Head Football Coach
- Colorado Tabs Mike MacIntyre as Football Coach
- Frosh Choice: Texas A&M Quarterback Manziel Captures Heisman
- Big Ten Expansion Meant to Keep Penn State
- Alvarez Makes One-Day Coaching Comeback for Wisconsin
- Football Coach Charlie Strong Stays with Louisville
- Darrell Hazell is New Purdue Football Coach
- Football Coach Mike Gundy to Stay at Oklahoma State
- Bielema Takes Arkansas Football Post; Malzahn to Coach Auburn
- Historic, Tight Heisman Trophy Race Between Manziel and Te'o
- Notre Dame and Alabama to Clash for BCS Title
- Ex-Utah Basketball Coach Rick Majerus Dies of Heart Failure at 64
- North Carolina State Hires Dave Doeren as Football Coach
- Oklahoma Shares Big 12 Title with Kansas State
- Hubert, Klein Carry No. 7 Kansas State to Big 12 Title
- Lacy, McCarron Star as Alabama Tops Georgia for SEC Title
- No. 8 Stanford Tops No. 17 UCLA, Clinches Pac-12 Football Title
- Jon Gruden Turns Down Tennessee Coaching Job
- Johnny Football Craze Gets a Soundtrack
- Monte Kiffin to Depart Southern Cal After Bowl Game
- ACC Chooses Louisville over UConn, Cincinnati
- Bill O'Brien to Stay as Penn State Football Coach
- Rivalry Week: Army vs Navy
- 2012 Big Ten Championship Preview
- 2012 PAC-12 Championship Preview
- 2012 BCS Championship Dream Matchup
- Kentucky Hires Florida State Assistant Mark Stoops as Head Coach
- Tulane and East Carolina to Join Big East in 2014
- Die-Hard BYU Basketball Fans Try to Recruit Jabari Parker
- Heisman Contender Johnny Manziel Calls First Season Incredibly Surreal
- Notre Dame's Manti for Heisman?
- Georgia QB Murray Shuns Media Ahead Of Showdown vs Alabama
- Notre Dame Survives USC, Secures Spot in BCS Championship Game
- Riddick, Brindza Lift No. 1 Notre Dame Into BCS Title Game
- Aaron Murray Throws Two TDs; Georgia Rips Rival Georgia Tech
- College Football Coaching Trio Dumped After Disappointing Seasons
- BCS Championship on the Line for Notre Dame
- Marion Grice Runs for Three TDs, Arizona State Tops Arizona
- LSU's SEC Championship Bid Alive After Win over Arkansas
- Burkhead Carries Nebraska over Iowa, Into Big Ten Title Game
- Morehead State Suspends Coach Sean Woods for One Game
- Jack Taylor Nets Record 138 Points in Division III Hoops
- NCAA Investigating Auburn Football on Recruitment
- ESPN to Broadcast College Football Playoff Games Starting 2014
- Rutgers Leaves Big East to Join Big Ten
- Georgia Savors Chance for BCS Football Title
- Shoulder Injury Shelves Southern Cal Quarterback Matt Barkley
- Minnesota Coach Kill Shrugs Off Wideout's Abuse Accusations
- Tennessee Terminates Coach Dooley After Loss to Vandy
Copyright © 2012 AHN - All Rights Reserved