Coaches Pick Indiana No. 1 in Preseason College Hoops Poll
Indiana grabbed the No. spot in the USA Today coaches' preseason poll, receiving 21 out of a possible 31 first-place votes and 761 overall points.
The Tom Crean-coached Hoosiers, who finished 27-9 and reached the Sweet 16 last season, will have four returning starters, including star center Cody Zeller. They will open their campaign against Nov. 9 against Bryant.
"I think it'd be crazy to try to shy away from it," Crean told USA Today. "If we were, our kids would look at us and roll their eyes. We don't talk about it much. We talk about living up to the standards that we need to live up to on a daily basis to have it that way at the end of the year.
It marked just the third time in recent history that Indiana has started the season as the top ranked team in the country.
The 1975-76 Hoosiers were ranked in the top spot prior to winning the national championship with a 32-0 record. The 1979-80 team was also ranked No. 1 in the preseason before clinching the 1981 national championship.
Last year, Indiana finished 13th in the coaches' poll after being ranked as high as eighth during the season.
Louisville placed second with five first-place votes. The Cardinals also return several key players from last year's squad, which reached the Final Four after winning the Big East tournament.
Louisville is ahead by 20 points over defending national champion Kentucky, which received the five other first-place votes for third place despite losing all five starters from last season.
Big Ten rivals Ohio State and Michigan are fourth and fifth, respectively. North Carolina State is sixth, followed by Kansas and Duke. Syracuse and Florida rounded out the top 10.
- Alabama No. 1 in Coaches' Poll, Florida Closes in on No. 2
- Storm Woods' Three TDs Help Oregon State Improve to 6-0
- Klein Leads Kansas State in Thrashing West Virginia
- Defense Steps Up as LSU Downs Texas A&M
- Backup Quarterback Guiton Shines as Ohio State Edges Purdue
- Rees Starts, Riddick Shines as Notre Dame Survives BYU Scare
- Coaches Pick Indiana No. 1 in Preseason College Hoops Poll
- Notre Dame QB Everett Golson Expected to Play vs BYU
- CFB 2012 Week 8 Preview
- CFB 2012 Week 8 Preview: South Carolina vs Florida
- CFB 2012 Week 8 Preview: LSU vs Texas A&M
- CFB 2012 Week 8 Preview: Michigan vs Michigan State
- CFB 2012 Week 8 Preview: Kansas State vs West Virginia
- Ohio State Coach Meyer Admits Buckeyes Defense Needs Work
- Braxton Miller's All-Around Game Lifts Ohio State Past Indiana
- Notre Dame Edges Stanford in OT, Improves to 6-0
- Blake Bell Rushes for Four TDs, Leads Oklahoma Past Texas
- Collin Klein's Three TD Runs Lift Kansas State Over Iowa State
- Navy Pulls Away, Routs Central Michigan
- Stabbing Incident Mars Syracuse's Orange Madness
- Connor Shaw's Solid Outing Boosts South Carolina into Top Five in Polls
- Glennon's Late TD Pass Helps NC State Upset Florida State
- Poyer's Three Picks Help No. 14 Oregon State Beat Washington State
- John Hubert and Collin Klein Help Kansas State Dump Kansas
- Defense Keys BYU Squeaker Over Utah State
- Georgia Minus Injured Michael Bennett For South Carolina Clash
- Kentucky Basketball Gets Commitment From Harrison Twins
- Matt Barkley leads Southern Cal past Utah in PAC-12 showdown
- Former Penn State Assistant McQueary Files Lawsuit Against School
- Ohio State and TCU football to Clash in 2018-19
- Alabama Retains Top Ranking in Coaches Poll
- Geno Smith's 8 TD Passes Lift West Virginia Over Baylor in Wild 70-63 Win
- Bergeron's Late TD Runs Lift Texas Over Oklahoma State
- Kenjon Barner's Four TDs Power Oregon Past Washington State
- Braxton Miller TD Strike Helps Ohio State Edge Michigan State
Copyright © 2012 AHN - All Rights Reserved