Computer Giant HP Weathering the Drama
What does the company do? Makes and sells computer hardware and software
2009 Financial report:
Q. I'm concerned about all the leadership drama at
A. More important than the drama is this computer giant's expansion into database and business application software to go along with its proven hardware business. It has a new CEO steeped in that software background.
In fine financial condition with plenty of cash and manageable debt, Hewlett-Packard also has considerable management depth. Facing fierce competition with a need to adapt to changing times, it intends to concentrate on the four key areas of enterprise software, printers, personal computers and services.
Hewlett-Packard ranks No. 1 in PC sales ahead of
The firm recently released its own Slate 500 touch-screen tablet computer that runs Windows and sells for about
Hewlett-Packard (HPQ) shares are down 15 percent this year following last year's 42 percent gain. The company's third-quarter net was up 6 percent over the year-earlier quarter.
But as you have pointed out, headlines surrounding its top executive position have overshadowed its business moves:
-- Hurd is now Oracle's co-president.
Consensus analyst recommendation on shares of Hewlett-Packard at their reduced price is "buy," according to Thomson Reuters, consisting of 15 "strong buys," 12 "buys," eight "holds" and two "underperforms."
Hewlett-Packard recently agreed to buy the
Earnings are expected to be up 17 percent for the 2010 fiscal year and 13 percent the following fiscal year, according to Thomson Reuters. The five-year annualized growth rate forecast is 10 percent versus 14 percent expected for the computer systems industry.
Available at Amazon.com:
- How Emotional Investing Affects Your Bottom Line
- How Quantative Easing 2 Could Affect Your Money
- Ways to Invest in the Dollar's Decline
- Legendary Fund Manager Bill Miller Sees Good Times Ahead
- Best Large-Cap Growth Mutual Funds for the Long Term
- Best Large-Cap Value Funds for the Long Term
- Foreign Bond Funds for Yield-Hungry Investors
- Funds for Easing Back into Stocks
- Why Low Expense Ratios Aren't Only Difference Between Index Funds
- Mutual Fund Performance Numbers Can Be Misleading
- Computer Giant HP Weathering the Drama
- Airline Stocks Take Off in 2010
- Retailer Stock Prospects Look Rosier This Year
- 6 Investing Mistakes Young People Make
- Inflation or Deflation: What's It Going to Be?
- How to Inflation-Proof Your Portfolio
- Easy ETF Portfolios for Any Age
- Gold's Hype May Blind Average Investors To Its Inherent Risk
- New ETF Holds Gold As Well As Silver, Platinum and Palladium
- To Be Truly Diversified, Do Investors Need Alternative Funds?
- The Best Short-Term Bond Funds for the Long Term
- How to Pick the Best Mutual Fund
- Why the Dow Usually Rallies After Midterm Elections
- Is a Retirement Income Fund Right for You?
- Index Annuities: Trick or Treat?
- Volatile Markets Beckon Beginning Investors
- Coca-Cola's Prospects Bubbling
- Balanced Mutual Funds Provide Defense
- International Growth Critical for Wal-Mart
- Global Financial Services Stocks Revive
- Cisco Systems Charging Hard Against Competitors
- Large Cap Stocks Move Up in 2010
- Betterment.com Brings Index Funds to the Masses
- Best Emerging Markets Funds for the Long Term
- 6 Reasons to Buy Dividend-Paying Stocks
- Why You Should Invest in Corporate Debt
- Risk Aversion Is Here to Stay
- Investors Lost Big Last Decade
- 3 Ways to Invest in the Financial Sector
- The Case for Investing in Commodities
- European Stocks as Contrarian Investment
- SIPC Considers Revamping Rules
- Will the Dramatic Run-Up in Real Estate Funds Last?
- 3 Ways to Use Index Funds
- How to Play It Safe With Muni Bonds
- Investing Strategies for This (Or Any) Market
- Mutual Funds for Dividend Junkies
- How to Navigate a Low-Rate Environment
- 5 Slow and Steady Funds for Skittish Investors
- Will the REITs Rally Continue?
- 3 Ways to Invest in the Real Estate Rally
- More You Know About Stocks & Industries; Less Volatility Will Rock Your World
- Investors Still Favor Bond Funds
- Valley Forge Fund: How a One-Man Mutual Fund Beats the Rest
- Mutual Fund Fee Reform: Multibillion-Dollar Sleight of Hand
- Avoiding a Bond Market Bubble
- Essential Sites For the ETF Novice
- When Choosing a Bond Fund Keep These Factors in Mind
- 3 Ways to Invest in the Small-Cap Rally
- Catastrophes and Your Investment Risk
- Mutual Fund Buzz: America the Beautiful
- Mutual Fund Buzz: Emerging Markets Get a Boost
- Is Your Portfolio Ready for A Double-Dip Recession?
- Anatomy of a Risky Target-Date Fund
- When is the Best Time to Buy An Immediate Annuity
- 5 Tips For the Average Investor
- Why Emerging Markets Belong in Your Portfolio
- What China's Currency Reform Means For Investors
- Financial Reform For the Retail Investor
- Target-Date Funds Are Not A 'Sure Bet'
- ETFs Can Be Volatile Too
- Chinese Growth Expected to Boost Asian Markets Long-Term
- 3 Mutual Funds to Steer Clear Of
- Mutual Fund Buzz: Alternatives On The Rise?
- Mutual Fund Buzz: The Tax Man Eyes The Fund Manager
- Mutual Fund Buzz: Bond Bubble?
- Ease Back Into Stocks With These Mutual Funds
- Value and Growth: Why Investors Need Both
- Investing Your Social Security Check? Consider These Factors
- New Efficiencies Should Help Alcoa as Recession Lifts
- Mutual Fund Fees: How Much is Too Much to Pay
- In Gold's Shadow: How Other Metals Fit Into Portfolios
- Should Investors Sit This One Out?
- There's No 'Perfect Time' to Dive Into Investing
- How to Keep Your Cool in a Turbulent Market
- How to Repair Your Damaged Portfolio
- Keep Bond Portfolio Broadly Diversified
- Why Not All Target-Date Funds Are Created Equal
- Five Tips to Avoid Confirmation Bias
- Financial Reform Legislation Gives Shareholders More Say
- Fiduciary Provision May Be Most Important Part of Financial Reform Bill
- What Gold Can and Cannot Do For You
- Why Your Portfolio Needs More Risk
- Read Mutual Fund Ads Critically
- Keep the Right Bonds in Your Portfolio
- European Debt Crisis Affects Investments
- 7 Valuable Lessons For Investors
- The Reality of Mutual Fund Returns
- Mutual Funds and a Changing Landscape
- Assembling a Sturdy Retirement Portfolio
- Funds for Recent College Grads
- Many 'Wide Moat' Companies Losing Competitive Advantage
- Who Got Hit Worst in the Market Crash
- Utility Stocks: Trade Flash for Dependable Payouts
- Formulate Strategy Before Diving Into Higher Risk Mutual Funds
- Contrarian Investors Target Promising Out-of-Favor Stocks
- Income Investors Face Challenges as Economy Shifts
- Can SEC Beat Goldman Sachs?
- Business Schools' Great Ethics Debate
- Investing for Retirement A Balancing Act
- Fees Can Take Big Bite Out of Retirement Fund Contributions
- Small-Cap Stocks Poised For Big Comeback
- John C. Bogle's Old-fashioned Investing Advice Still Applies
- 10 Great Mutual Funds You've Never Heard of
- Mutual Funds Fees & Expenses Only One Factor
- Why Investors Are Flocking to Index Funds
- Trend Setting Companies Target Hip Young Consumers
- Weakening European Stocks Offer Some Bargains for U.S. Investors
- Investing: What to Do About Inflation and What Not to Do
- Kick-Start a Portfolio With Just a Little Cash
- Exchange Traded Funds Offer Low-Cost Diversification
- Fresh Look at Socially Responsible Mutual Funds
- Technology Opens Doors for Investors
- Make the Most of Your Mutual Fund Money
- Fiduciary Standard for Giving Investment Advice
- 'Investment Rewards' Credit Cards Well Worth A Look
Investing - Computer Giant HP Weathering the Drama | Successful Investing
(c) 2010 Andrew Leckey