Health care investing is making a comeback in 2011.
The industry has shaken off irrational fears about reform and refocused on the opportunities that an aging population provides. Compared to industries more closely tied to the economy, it isn't scary at all anymore.
Health care and biotechnology stock funds are up 17 percent this year and 35 percent over the past 12 months, according to
Stars have emerged in healthcare:
"A worsening outlook for the global economy favors defensive sectors, and health care falls into that bucket," explained
"Despite the headwinds that the health care industry faces, there are ways of making money and a diversified fund is one of those," Oh said. "You don't have to worry about stock-specific risks when you put money in a health care sector fund."
Wheeling and dealing among companies is revving up, a potential boost for stock prices.
"Besides the investor retreat to defensive, non-discretionary sectors, the mergers-and-acquisition activity is strong due to cheap health care valuations and companies with cash on their balance sheets," said
Big pharmaceutical companies are about to face the largest patent expiration in the industry's history and will need to fill the gap of lost income, Gregory added. Buying another company that has hot products accomplishes that rather quickly.
"There are high barriers to entry in health care, and the age demographics are strongly in its favor," said
Health care accounts for about 18 percent of the U.S. Gross Domestic Product, and such importance means investors must keep an eye on it, said Shankaran. However, it is too simplistic to say health care is a terrific industry to invest in all the time, he warned, since having exposure to its poor performance in 2009 and 2010 was not a positive experience.
Shankaran sees the cup as either half full or half empty, depending on conditions. The fact that his fund has long and short holdings enables him to "modulate" exposure to health care, in effect betting for or against it.
He likes stock of
For more investing insight and money advice, visit iHaveNet's Wealth section
Available at Amazon.com: The Triumph of Value Investing: Smart Money Tactics for the Postrecession Era
- What Happened to the Muni Bond Blowup
- 5 Factors That Drive Stock Prices
- Health Care a Sound Investment Despite Slow Economy and Reform
- Home Depot: Home Improvement Mecca Struggles to Stay Steady
- Asset Classes for Yield-Hungry Investors
- Defensive Investing Lets You Take Risk With Peace of Mind
- Unusual Stock Funds Intriguing, Still Judged on Performance
- Modern Investors Idolize Financial Hall of Famers
- 6 Risks Every Investor Faces
- The Appeal of Emerging Markets Bonds
- Do Your Investments Love You Back?
- 3M: Resilient Maker of Post-It Notes Tapes Together Solid Growth
- 6 Investing Ideas for Today's Slow-Growth Economy
- The Most Successful Companies Stay Relevant
- When Asset Size Matters in Fund Investing
- Investing Intelligently Yet Cautiously Key for Rest of 2011
- 50 Best Funds for the Everyday Investor
- 2 Bright Spots in Europe: Denmark and Norway
- 5 Ominous Signs for Stock Investors
- Executive Pay Zooming Skyward Again
- Bank Stocks Slow to Show Recovery But Could Be Turning the Corner
- United Technologies: Conglomerate Relies on Cyclical Growth Factors
- International Paper Company Thinks Inside the Box
- Why Copper Is the Metal to Watch
- Auto Industry Weathers High Fuel Prices
- 6 Numbers Every Investor Should Follow
- ETFs Not Just For Riverboat Gamblers
- What Investors Can Learn From the VIX
- How to Find Value Stocks
- Learning From Madoff
- PIMCO's Bill Gross Wades Into Active ETFs
- The Smaller the Better: Investing in Micro-caps
- Confidence Remains Strong in Global Markets Despite Crises
- What Standard & Poor's U.S. Outlook Downgrade Means
- The Appeal of Go-Anywhere Funds
- Demand and Disasters Complicate Global Energy Picture
- Russia Stocks Soar on Rising Oil Prices
- Energy and Construction Stocks Looking Good -- For Now
- What Investors Can Learn From Fund Flows
- High-priced Stocks Worth the Money?
- Investors Continue to Chase Short-Term Performance
- 5 Reasons Investors Should Not Bail on Japan
- What Happens After Quantative Easing 2 Ends?
- A Closer Look at Restaurant Stocks
- Adobe Overcomes Obstacles to Continue Its Rise
- Where to Find the Dividends Now
- What Style of Index Investing Is Right for You?
- The Case for (and Against) European Stocks
- Tech Stocks Volatile But Undeniably Strong
- Find This Year's Investing Strategy in Last Year's Return
- Why Big U.S. Stocks Look Like a Good Bet
- Diversification: Can You Have Too Much of a Good Thing?
- 5 Tax Tips for Mutual Fund Investors
- What's the Best Way to Buy Bonds?
- Realities of New Retirement Changing Investment Strategies
- How Contango Affects Your Investments
- Best Intermediate-Term Bond Funds for the Long Term
- Elephant-Sized Mutual Funds Slow to Adapt But Steady
- What Next for Gold? Is Gold's Latest Selloff a Turning Point?
- eBay: Competition and Changing Trends Cloud Online Marketplace's Future
- What the Egyptian Uprising Means for Investors
- 'Latin American Decade' or Wishful Thinking?
- Emerging Markets: Proceed With Caution
- Best Large-Cap Blend Funds for the Long Term
- What Will QE2's Legacy Be?
- Hybrids, Electrics and Overseas Growth Pushing Ford Motor
- Muni Bond Market Safer Than You Think
- Is Now the Time to Buy Municipal Bonds?
- SEC Takes Steps Toward Financial Planning Overhaul, But Issues Remain
- How to Invest for Income
- Forget the BRICs: How to Invest in Emerging Markets
- Can REITs Continue to Rally in 2011?
- How to Invest in Rising Oil Prices
- Research Vital to Finding Right Target-Date Retirement Fund
- Consumer Staples Positioned Well for the Recovery
- Municipal Bonds: Trouble Brewing or Media Hype?
- Best Mid-Cap Blend Mutual Funds for the Long Term
- The Case for Active ETFs
- Cash Rich Companies to Watch in 2011
- Google's Growth Could Slow But Still a Solid Buy
- Growth Expected to Continue in Emerging Markets in 2011
- How to Navigate the Bond Market in 2011
- Five Ways to Introduce Youngsters to Stock Investing
- The Outlook for Value Investing
- Best Small-Cap Blend Funds for the Long Term
- 8 Investing Resolutions for 2011
- Growth Versus Value Investing in 2011
- Big Tobacco Leader Altria Holding Steady Despite Worries
- ETFs Capture Market Attention & Investment
- 5 Investment Themes for 2011
- How to Take Advantage of a Weak Dollar
- Best Foreign Large-Cap Blend Funds for the Long Term
- Fed Moves Boost Stock Returns
- Bond Funds Really Can Lose Money
- Teach Your Kid a Lesson in Investing
Investing - Health Care a Sound Investment Despite Slow Economy and Reform | Successful Investing
(c) 2011 TRIBUNE MEDIA SERVICES, INC.