Cisco Systems Charging Hard Against Competitors
About Cisco Systems Inc.
What does the company do? Data networking equipment and software
Financial report for fiscal year ended
Q. I have 200 shares of Cisco Systems Inc. Will these be doing better soon? -- M.L., via the Internet
A. The world's dominant supplier of data networking equipment and software doesn't want to become just another mature company that's gradually losing market share to newer competitors.
In its quest for revenue growth, this cash-rich giant has been making acquisitions and launching product lines. The question is whether its aggressiveness may lead to future mistakes, such as paying too much for firms or rushing products to market before their time.
It most recently acquired:
-- The privately-held video software management firm
-- Conferencing specialist
Also expanding its product lines, the company has launched a railroad station security device that detects safety problems quickly and informs passengers through public address. It has introduced the Icon phone headset; the business-oriented Cius tablet computer; and high-end video-conferencing gear.
While earnings were up 79 percent in its fiscal fourth quarter ended
Famous hard-charging leader
Cisco has 70 percent of the switch market and is a clear leader in routers.
It also makes access equipment and network-management software for data communication between computer networks. New markets it has added include home networking, storage technology and Internet-based telephony. Significant competitors in various product lines include companies such as Juniper,
Earnings are expected to increase 7.5 percent this year and 14.5 percent next year. The five-year annualized growth rate forecast of 13 percent compares to 16 percent expected for the communication devices industry.
Available at Amazon.com:
- 6 Investing Mistakes Young People Make
- Inflation or Deflation: What's It Going to Be?
- How to Inflation-Proof Your Portfolio
- Easy ETF Portfolios for Any Age
- Gold's Hype May Blind Average Investors To Its Inherent Risk
- New ETF Holds Gold As Well As Silver, Platinum and Palladium
- To Be Truly Diversified, Do Investors Need Alternative Funds?
- The Best Short-Term Bond Funds for the Long Term
- How to Pick the Best Mutual Fund
- Why the Dow Usually Rallies After Midterm Elections
- Is a Retirement Income Fund Right for You?
- Index Annuities: Trick or Treat?
- Volatile Markets Beckon Beginning Investors
- Coca-Cola's Prospects Bubbling
- Balanced Mutual Funds Provide Defense
- International Growth Critical for Wal-Mart
- Global Financial Services Stocks Revive
- Cisco Systems Charging Hard Against Competitors
- Large Cap Stocks Move Up in 2010
- Betterment.com Brings Index Funds to the Masses
- Best Emerging Markets Funds for the Long Term
- 6 Reasons to Buy Dividend-Paying Stocks
- Why You Should Invest in Corporate Debt
- Risk Aversion Is Here to Stay
- Investors Lost Big Last Decade
- 3 Ways to Invest in the Financial Sector
- The Case for Investing in Commodities
- European Stocks as Contrarian Investment
- SIPC Considers Revamping Rules
- Will the Dramatic Run-Up in Real Estate Funds Last?
- 3 Ways to Use Index Funds
- How to Play It Safe With Muni Bonds
- Investing Strategies for This (Or Any) Market
- Mutual Funds for Dividend Junkies
- How to Navigate a Low-Rate Environment
- 5 Slow and Steady Funds for Skittish Investors
- Will the REITs Rally Continue?
- 3 Ways to Invest in the Real Estate Rally
- More You Know About Stocks & Industries; Less Volatility Will Rock Your World
- Investors Still Favor Bond Funds
- Valley Forge Fund: How a One-Man Mutual Fund Beats the Rest
- Mutual Fund Fee Reform: Multibillion-Dollar Sleight of Hand
- Avoiding a Bond Market Bubble
- Essential Sites For the ETF Novice
- When Choosing a Bond Fund Keep These Factors in Mind
- 3 Ways to Invest in the Small-Cap Rally
- Catastrophes and Your Investment Risk
- Mutual Fund Buzz: America the Beautiful
- Mutual Fund Buzz: Emerging Markets Get a Boost
- Is Your Portfolio Ready for A Double-Dip Recession?
- Anatomy of a Risky Target-Date Fund
- When is the Best Time to Buy An Immediate Annuity
- 5 Tips For the Average Investor
- Why Emerging Markets Belong in Your Portfolio
- What China's Currency Reform Means For Investors
- Financial Reform For the Retail Investor
- Target-Date Funds Are Not A 'Sure Bet'
- ETFs Can Be Volatile Too
- Chinese Growth Expected to Boost Asian Markets Long-Term
- 3 Mutual Funds to Steer Clear Of
- Mutual Fund Buzz: Alternatives On The Rise?
- Mutual Fund Buzz: The Tax Man Eyes The Fund Manager
- Mutual Fund Buzz: Bond Bubble?
- Ease Back Into Stocks With These Mutual Funds
- Value and Growth: Why Investors Need Both
- Investing Your Social Security Check? Consider These Factors
- New Efficiencies Should Help Alcoa as Recession Lifts
- Mutual Fund Fees: How Much is Too Much to Pay
- In Gold's Shadow: How Other Metals Fit Into Portfolios
- Should Investors Sit This One Out?
- There's No 'Perfect Time' to Dive Into Investing
- How to Keep Your Cool in a Turbulent Market
- How to Repair Your Damaged Portfolio
- Keep Bond Portfolio Broadly Diversified
- Why Not All Target-Date Funds Are Created Equal
- Five Tips to Avoid Confirmation Bias
- Financial Reform Legislation Gives Shareholders More Say
- Fiduciary Provision May Be Most Important Part of Financial Reform Bill
- What Gold Can and Cannot Do For You
- Why Your Portfolio Needs More Risk
- Read Mutual Fund Ads Critically
- Keep the Right Bonds in Your Portfolio
- European Debt Crisis Affects Investments
- 7 Valuable Lessons For Investors
- The Reality of Mutual Fund Returns
- Mutual Funds and a Changing Landscape
- Assembling a Sturdy Retirement Portfolio
- Funds for Recent College Grads
- Many 'Wide Moat' Companies Losing Competitive Advantage
- Who Got Hit Worst in the Market Crash
- Utility Stocks: Trade Flash for Dependable Payouts
- Formulate Strategy Before Diving Into Higher Risk Mutual Funds
- Contrarian Investors Target Promising Out-of-Favor Stocks
- Income Investors Face Challenges as Economy Shifts
- Can SEC Beat Goldman Sachs?
- Business Schools' Great Ethics Debate
- Investing for Retirement A Balancing Act
- Fees Can Take Big Bite Out of Retirement Fund Contributions
- Small-Cap Stocks Poised For Big Comeback
- John C. Bogle's Old-fashioned Investing Advice Still Applies
- 10 Great Mutual Funds You've Never Heard of
- Mutual Funds Fees & Expenses Only One Factor
- Why Investors Are Flocking to Index Funds
- Trend Setting Companies Target Hip Young Consumers
- Weakening European Stocks Offer Some Bargains for U.S. Investors
- Investing: What to Do About Inflation and What Not to Do
- Kick-Start a Portfolio With Just a Little Cash
- Exchange Traded Funds Offer Low-Cost Diversification
- Fresh Look at Socially Responsible Mutual Funds
- Technology Opens Doors for Investors
- Make the Most of Your Mutual Fund Money
- Fiduciary Standard for Giving Investment Advice
- 'Investment Rewards' Credit Cards Well Worth A Look
Investing - Cisco Systems Charging Hard Against Competitors | Cisco Nasdaq:CSCO
(c) 2010 Andrew Leckey