The Diet Soda-Weight Gain Debate
Can diet sodas really make you gain weight?
Recent headlines reporting that diet sodas can lead to weight gain have stirred up debate among health experts. While zero-calorie diet sodas have been a dieter's best friend for decades, recent research brings up the question: Do they really work?
Two studies presented in
The other side of the story. The research on diet soda and weight is far from conclusive. A
When you look at the field of research, some studies find diet soda is linked with weight gain, others reveal it aids weight loss, and some find no benefit at all. Why are the findings so confusing? You would expect the consumption of zero-calorie beverages to be uniformly linked with weight loss. The answer may be simply that obese people drink a lot of diet soda, which would explain the association between diet soda intake and higher weight in obese populations. And diet soda may encourage higher calorie intake of other food groups -- the old "diet soda and a brownie" habit. If people think they've been "good" by drinking a diet soda, they may indulge in high-calorie treats to reward themselves. For now, your best bet to keep your diet soda habit under control may be to drink more of the best zero-calorie beverages you can find -- plain water, coffee, or tea.
- The Diet Soda-Weight Gain Debate
- Are Meal Replacement Bars Good for You?
- A New Way to Eat Less
- Stop Vacation Weight Gain!
- Are You Afraid of the Dentist?
- The Tiny Guide to Creating the Flossing Habit
- The Health Hazards of Paper Receipts
- Could Our Drinking Water Be Causing Autism?
- 10 Things You Didn't Know About Smiling
- The Right Music for Every Part of Your Day
- Cactus Juice Bristling with Health Potential
- The Blackberry: Enjoy Summer's Antioxidant Powerhouse
- Do You Need Iron Supplements?
- How Your Meds Can Affect Your Mouth
- Soothe Pain with Foods from Fish to Fruits
- Extra Sleep Can Aid Weight Loss
- How to Try a Juice Fast
- Fight Food Addiction
- The War on Soda Pop
- Can You Catch Cancer?
- A Prayer a Day Could Keep the Doctor Away
- Parsley Packs An Antioxidant Punch
- Probiotics: Feed Your 'Good' Bacteria
- 11 Proven Weight Loss Tips
- Choose Whole Foods First, from Grains to Fruits
- Green Coffee Bean Supplement: A Wonder Diet Drug?
- Want to Eat Healthier? Visualize It!
- Best Supplements for Strong Teeth
- Are You Brushing Your Teeth Wrong?
- Should Supersize Soda Be Banned?
- Summer Party Foods That Can Make You Sick
- 7 Kitchen Mistakes That Cause Food Poisoning
- Can Snoring Really Kill Me?
- Your Worst Bad Breath Situations -- Solved
- Have You Had Your Shingles Shot?
- The Surprising Health Benefits of Texting
- What's the Healthiest Yogurt?
Copyright © 2012 Tribune Media Services Inc.