Are You Afraid of the Dentist?
Are You Afraid of the Dentist?
My friend Victoria had nagging tooth pain for weeks, before she tweeted, "Anybody know a dentist who sedates you?" Victoria once told me that her dental fears actually started in her teens when she had a bad experience getting out her wisdom teeth.
As fate would have it, I ran across her tweet the same day I saw this study about what prevents people from seeing a dentist. Apparently, Victoria is not alone: One in 10 adults are afraid to see the tooth doc too.
So, to help her, I talked to Dr. Arthur Weiner, a spokesperson for the Academy of General Dentistry and author of The Fearful Dental Patient: A Guide to Understanding and Managing. "Is sedation a good solution for someone who is scared of a procedure?" I asked.
"Not at all!" responded Weiner. Apparently, I hit a nerve. Although many dentists offer sedation -- and Weiner even did earlier in his career -- he feels it doesn't fix the problem. "When you sedate people, they are still going to avoid going to the dentist the next time they need treatment or preventive care." What's more, sedation isn't safe for many older patients or those who are taking certain medications, explains Weiner.
"So what's a better approach?" I asked.
"Finding a dentist who can ease your fears by answering all your questions," answered Weiner. "Think about why you don't want to see a dentist -- what's the root of your fear -- and then make a list of things to ask about. I've had patients who have refused a root canal, for instance, but then after I took 10 minutes to explain what was going to happen, they went ahead. And it's never been as bad as they thought it would be," adds Weiner.
Of course, not all dentists will be that patient. So the trick is to shop around for one who is before it becomes an emergency. "Call three or four dental offices, tell them about your situation, and see how they respond," advises Weiner. "From there, you should have a good idea of who you want to make an appointment with."
And for people like my friend Victoria, who have waited too long and need to be out of pain pronto, Weiner recommends using relaxation and visualization techniques like these when they're in the dentist's chair. According to research, hypnosis is also effective at calming dental fears (read more about it here).
When I called Victoria to find out how she fared with her toothache, she said, "I needed a cavity filled. The dentist put me under. I was groggy for the rest of the day -- and I'm glad I don't need to go back there again."
"You need to find someone who can make you feel comfortable without sedation for your checkups," I told her. Then I emailed her the number of my dentist -- a man who lets me change the TV channel in the room to whatever goofy distraction I want during my appointment. "Let me think about it," she said. Well, at least that's a start.
- The Diet Soda-Weight Gain Debate
- Are Meal Replacement Bars Good for You?
- A New Way to Eat Less
- Stop Vacation Weight Gain!
- Are You Afraid of the Dentist?
- The Tiny Guide to Creating the Flossing Habit
- The Health Hazards of Paper Receipts
- Could Our Drinking Water Be Causing Autism?
- 10 Things You Didn't Know About Smiling
- The Right Music for Every Part of Your Day
- Cactus Juice Bristling with Health Potential
- The Blackberry: Enjoy Summer's Antioxidant Powerhouse
- Do You Need Iron Supplements?
- How Your Meds Can Affect Your Mouth
- How to Try a Juice Fast
- Fight Food Addiction
- The War on Soda Pop
- Can You Catch Cancer?
- A Prayer a Day Could Keep the Doctor Away
- Parsley Packs An Antioxidant Punch
- Probiotics: Feed Your 'Good' Bacteria
- 11 Proven Weight Loss Tips
- Choose Whole Foods First, from Grains to Fruits
- Green Coffee Bean Supplement: A Wonder Diet Drug?
- Want to Eat Healthier? Visualize It!
- Best Supplements for Strong Teeth
- Are You Brushing Your Teeth Wrong?
- Should Supersize Soda Be Banned?
- Summer Party Foods That Can Make You Sick
- 7 Kitchen Mistakes That Cause Food Poisoning
- Can Snoring Really Kill Me?
- Your Worst Bad Breath Situations -- Solved
- Have You Had Your Shingles Shot?
- The Surprising Health Benefits of Texting
- What's the Healthiest Yogurt?
- Are Canned Foods Good for You?
- Is There Such a Thing as a Healthier Cigarette?
- Massage Away Allergies with these Expert Moves
- Say Goodbye to Computer Strain
- Prevent Hearing Loss -- Before It's Too Late
- Train Your Brain to Crave Healthy Foods
Copyright © 2012 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.