Do Dental X-rays Cause Cancer?
Do Dental X-rays Cause Cancer?
I've had my fair share of dental X-rays over the years, and you probably have too.
That's why I was alarmed a few weeks ago, when I ran across a study that linked annual bitewing X-rays to a 40-90 percent increased risk of meningioma, a brain tumor that's typically benign.
The study was conducted by researchers at Yale School of Medicine and published by the American Cancer Association. Both organizations are highly creditable, which added to my anxiety!
So I asked Dr. Howard Gamble, dentist and president of the Academy of General Dentistry, if he thought there was cause for alarm. Much to my relief, he reassured me that the level of radiation used when participants in the study, ages 20-79, received dental X-rays was considerably higher than it is now. "Modern radiographic techniques and equipment provide the narrowest beam and shortest exposure, thereby limiting the area and time of exposure and reducing any possible risks while providing the highest level of diagnostic benefits," he said.
The study didn't find any link between full-mouth X-rays (which are basically multiple bitewings) and the tumors, which makes radiation exposure harder to blame.
The upshot: This study doesn't prove that dental X-rays are dangerous.
Still, Gamble said, like any other test, you only want to get X-rays when you need them. How often that will be depends mainly on your age and the condition of your teeth, so it's smart to keep them in good shape. You can read the American Dental Association's recommendations on when to get X-rays here.
If you switch to a new dentist or see a specialist such as an orthodontist, have a copy of your X-rays sent over so they don't need to be repeated. Excuse me now; I'm off to brush!
- Why You Shouldn't Work at Night
- Do Dental X-rays Cause Cancer?
- Nutrient Timing: When to Eat What for Maximum Nutrition
- 3 Simple Meditations to Help You Focus
- Herbs That Boost Flavor and Your Health
- The Latest Superfoods You Need to Know About
- Want a Better Smile? Eat This
- Dial Down the Temp to Cook Healthier Meats
- Edible Flowers
- Shift to Plant Foods for Better Health and Eco-Impact
- Best Way to Dispose of Old Drugs
- Why Sad Movies Make You Happy
- Fighting Cancer with Plant Foods
- Lifesaving Skills Everyone Should Learn
- Emotional Eating: How to Stop It Forever
- Make Takeout Healthy Tonight
- Natural Cures for Spring Allergies
- The Good News About Dark Meat
- American Obesity Epidemic Much Worse Than CDC Believes
- Do You Have a Fatty Liver?
- How to Stop Ear Pain on a Plane
- Why Learning Leads to Happiness
- Why Helping Others Makes Us Happy and Healthy
- Why Our Homes Make Us Happy
- Happier People Deal Better with Hardships
- Religion Makes People Happier -- But Why?
- Boost Mood with Whole Foods
- Surprising Nutrition Facts on Foods
- Holiday Workouts: Try Interval Training
- Stay Fit and Trim All Winter Long
- Screening Tests That Can Save Your Life
- Eat Fiber and Feel Better
- The Worst and Best Sweets for Your Teeth
- Healthy Eating All Day
- A Smart Guide to Dietary Supplements
- Normal Weight Obesity - A Growing Concern
- Fruit and Vegetables: Americans Fall Short
- Hybrid Fruit: The New Super-food
- Is Indian Cuisine Healthy Cuisine?
- Is 'Ethnic' Cuisine Healthier?
- Surviving Cold Season: How Not to Get Sick
- 7 Healthy Habits in 7 Weeks
- Sleep More and Live Longer
- Heartburn-friendly Diet with Your Favorite Foods
- The Vibrant and Healthy Flavors of an Authentic Latin Diet
- Is It Hunger or Just Appetite?
- Stay Healthy the Easy Way
- Boost Your Energy: Hour by Hour
- 5 Healthy Foods That Wreck Your Teeth
- Stone Age Diet Surprisingly Good For a Healthy Life Today
- Beat Your Afternoon Energy Slump
- Small Healthy Habits With Big Health Benefits
- 5 Fast Breakfasts That Boost Your Health
- Apples Are the New Fish
- Watermelon: Summer's Antioxidant
- Are All Omega-3 Fats The Same?
- Sample a Semi-Vegetarian Lifestyle With a Flexitarian Diet
- Milk: When the First Food May Be the Best Food
- How to Lose Weight Safely
- Salt Sensitivity Issue: Salt Restriction
- An Update on Soy: It's Just So-So
- Seeds of Life: Chia, Flax, Hemp and Pumpkin
- Why and How to Get More Vitamin D
- Healthy Snacks for Energy
- Healthy Eating Tips for a Busy Lifestyle
- Olive Oil and Health
- Enjoy the Health Benefits of Tea
Copyright © 2012 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.