Best Way to Dispose of Old Drugs
While recently cleaning out our medicine cabinets, I came across some over-the-counter and prescription medications that dated back to ... the first Bush administration! Old, expired or just plain dusty, it was time to toss them -- but how? Was it OK to just throw them in the trash?
I decided to check with the experts, and it's a good thing I did.
Best Way to Dispose of … Most Drugs
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recently updated its guidelines for safely disposing of unused or expired medications. For most drugs -- such as heartburn medications, antibiotics and antihistamines -- the FDA recommends a three-step process:
1. Mix unused drugs with an "undesirable substance," like used coffee grounds or kitty litter.
2. Put the mix in a sealed plastic bag so contents won't leak.
3. Place the sealed bag in the trash.
Best Way to Dispose of … Powerful Drugs
However, certain medications -- such as powerful narcotic pain relievers -- should be flushed down the toilet to prevent abuse or accidental ingestion by kids or animals, says Mitchel Rothholz, a registered pharmacist and chief strategy officer for the American Pharmacists Association. The reason: "Abuse of prescription pain relievers, such as oxycodone and morphine, as well as stimulants and other controlled medications, has been on the rise," he explains. Plus, accidental exposure to these medications can be harmful -- in some cases even deadly -- with just one dose. Flushing removes the danger from the picture.
For a complete list of medications that should be flushed, visit the FDA's "Disposal of Unused Medicines" Web page.
Best Way to Dispose of … Unused Drugs
Meanwhile, community take-back programs -- in which unused drugs are collected by pharmacies or community or government organizations -- are cropping up across the country. The Drug Enforcement Administration conducts one every April. During the rest of the year, you may be able to find drop-off locations near you through the Product Stewardship Institute's Drug Take-Back Network.
So if you haven't cleaned out your medicine cabinet lately, add it to your list of spring-cleaning chores. Then take advantage of a take-back program or follow the new FDA guidelines to keep your family safe from the dangers of accidental ingestion.
- Why You Shouldn't Work at Night
- Do Dental X-rays Cause Cancer?
- Nutrient Timing: When to Eat What for Maximum Nutrition
- 3 Simple Meditations to Help You Focus
- Herbs That Boost Flavor and Your Health
- The Latest Superfoods You Need to Know About
- Want a Better Smile? Eat This
- Dial Down the Temp to Cook Healthier Meats
- Edible Flowers
- Shift to Plant Foods for Better Health and Eco-Impact
- Best Way to Dispose of Old Drugs
- Why Sad Movies Make You Happy
- Fighting Cancer with Plant Foods
- Lifesaving Skills Everyone Should Learn
- Emotional Eating: How to Stop It Forever
- Make Takeout Healthy Tonight
- Natural Cures for Spring Allergies
- The Good News About Dark Meat
- American Obesity Epidemic Much Worse Than CDC Believes
- Do You Have a Fatty Liver?
- How to Stop Ear Pain on a Plane
- Why Learning Leads to Happiness
- Why Helping Others Makes Us Happy and Healthy
- Why Our Homes Make Us Happy
- Happier People Deal Better with Hardships
- Religion Makes People Happier -- But Why?
- Boost Mood with Whole Foods
- Surprising Nutrition Facts on Foods
- Holiday Workouts: Try Interval Training
- Stay Fit and Trim All Winter Long
- Screening Tests That Can Save Your Life
- Eat Fiber and Feel Better
- The Worst and Best Sweets for Your Teeth
- Healthy Eating All Day
- A Smart Guide to Dietary Supplements
- Normal Weight Obesity - A Growing Concern
- Fruit and Vegetables: Americans Fall Short
- Hybrid Fruit: The New Super-food
- Is Indian Cuisine Healthy Cuisine?
- Is 'Ethnic' Cuisine Healthier?
- Surviving Cold Season: How Not to Get Sick
- 7 Healthy Habits in 7 Weeks
- Sleep More and Live Longer
- Heartburn-friendly Diet with Your Favorite Foods
- The Vibrant and Healthy Flavors of an Authentic Latin Diet
- Is It Hunger or Just Appetite?
- Stay Healthy the Easy Way
- Boost Your Energy: Hour by Hour
- 5 Healthy Foods That Wreck Your Teeth
- Stone Age Diet Surprisingly Good For a Healthy Life Today
- Beat Your Afternoon Energy Slump
- Small Healthy Habits With Big Health Benefits
- 5 Fast Breakfasts That Boost Your Health
- Apples Are the New Fish
- Watermelon: Summer's Antioxidant
- Are All Omega-3 Fats The Same?
- Sample a Semi-Vegetarian Lifestyle With a Flexitarian Diet
- Milk: When the First Food May Be the Best Food
- How to Lose Weight Safely
- Salt Sensitivity Issue: Salt Restriction
- An Update on Soy: It's Just So-So
- Seeds of Life: Chia, Flax, Hemp and Pumpkin
- Why and How to Get More Vitamin D
- Healthy Snacks for Energy
- Healthy Eating Tips for a Busy Lifestyle
- Olive Oil and Health
- Enjoy the Health Benefits of Tea
Copyright © 2012 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.