Are Canned Foods Good for You?
Are Canned Foods Good for You?
When I was in college, canned ravioli was a weekly staple. And as a child, I loved SpaghettiOs and Manwich sandwiches. I may not eat those foods so much anymore (though I admit to eating an occasional spoonful of SpaghettiOs), but as a mom, I've been turning more and more to canned foods to help me prepare my meals.
It turns out that canned foods may be a good idea: A recent study by the decidedly biased Canned Food Alliance found that canned foods are often just as nutritious as the fresh and frozen varieties, and that they are often less expensive and require less time to prepare. That's good news for us time-crunched moms, who are always looking for ways to stretch a dollar, find a minute and still feed our families the healthy foods they need.
Canned spinach, for instance, costs 85 percent less than the fresh or frozen variety; canned tomatoes, 60 percent less. Meanwhile, pinto beans from a can cost $1 less than dried pinto beans. They also take just six minutes to heat, compared to the dried variety, which require more than two hours to soak and cook. In fact, when you factor in the time it takes to prepare any fresh veggie -- cleaning, cutting and soaking -- you double your savings. After all, as any mom knows, time is money.
Come to think of the recipes I make these days, canned foods are a definite staple in my kitchen. I make a taco soup that calls for canned corn, beans and stewed tomatoes. I toss crushed pineapple from a can into pina colada smoothies and use canned pumpkin to make pumpkin pies. And I always keep a few cans of broth on hand to season stir-fries or make a quick soup.
I'm thrilled to know that something as simple as opening a can qualifies as preparing dinner. Just the other night, I made a can of beets for dinner! And guess what? They tasted just as good as the fresh ones.
Next time you're in a hurry, check out the canned food aisle in your supermarket. You just might find dinner, dessert and even snacks to satisfy the hunger in between. Do you use canned foods to help you make dinner?
- What's the Healthiest Yogurt?
- Are Canned Foods Good for You?
- Is There Such a Thing as a Healthier Cigarette?
- Massage Away Allergies with these Expert Moves
- Say Goodbye to Computer Strain
- Prevent Hearing Loss -- Before It's Too Late
- Train Your Brain to Crave Healthy Foods
- Broken Heart Syndrome: A Real and Dangerous Condition
- Beat Canker Sores Now
- Eating for Healthy Aging: Adopt an Anti-Inflammatory Diet
- Stress-relief Methods for Every Occasion
- Natural Energy Drinks That Work
- Fish Oil: The One Benefit You Haven't Considered
- Can Skipping Breakfast Raise Your Diabetes Risk?
- FDA Seeks to Tame Exploding Medical App Market
- Why You Shouldn't Work at Night
- Do Dental X-rays Cause Cancer?
- Nutrient Timing: When to Eat What for Maximum Nutrition
- 3 Simple Meditations to Help You Focus
- Herbs That Boost Flavor and Your Health
- The Latest Superfoods You Need to Know About
- Want a Better Smile? Eat This
- Dial Down the Temp to Cook Healthier Meats
- Edible Flowers
- Shift to Plant Foods for Better Health and Eco-Impact
- Best Way to Dispose of Old Drugs
- Why Sad Movies Make You Happy
- Fighting Cancer with Plant Foods
- Lifesaving Skills Everyone Should Learn
- Emotional Eating: How to Stop It Forever
- Make Takeout Healthy Tonight
- Natural Cures for Spring Allergies
- The Good News About Dark Meat
- American Obesity Epidemic Much Worse Than CDC Believes
- Do You Have a Fatty Liver?
- How to Stop Ear Pain on a Plane
- Why Learning Leads to Happiness
- Why Helping Others Makes Us Happy and Healthy
- Why Our Homes Make Us Happy
- Happier People Deal Better with Hardships
- Religion Makes People Happier -- But Why?
- Boost Mood with Whole Foods
- Surprising Nutrition Facts on Foods
- Holiday Workouts: Try Interval Training
- Stay Fit and Trim All Winter Long
- Screening Tests That Can Save Your Life
- Eat Fiber and Feel Better
- The Worst and Best Sweets for Your Teeth
- Healthy Eating All Day
- A Smart Guide to Dietary Supplements
- Normal Weight Obesity - A Growing Concern
- Fruit and Vegetables: Americans Fall Short
- Hybrid Fruit: The New Super-food
- Is Indian Cuisine Healthy Cuisine?
- Is 'Ethnic' Cuisine Healthier?
- Surviving Cold Season: How Not to Get Sick
- 7 Healthy Habits in 7 Weeks
- Sleep More and Live Longer
- Heartburn-friendly Diet with Your Favorite Foods
- The Vibrant and Healthy Flavors of an Authentic Latin Diet
- Is It Hunger or Just Appetite?
- Stay Healthy the Easy Way
- Boost Your Energy: Hour by Hour
- 5 Healthy Foods That Wreck Your Teeth
- Stone Age Diet Surprisingly Good For a Healthy Life Today
- Beat Your Afternoon Energy Slump
- Small Healthy Habits With Big Health Benefits
- 5 Fast Breakfasts That Boost Your Health
- Apples Are the New Fish
- Watermelon: Summer's Antioxidant
- Are All Omega-3 Fats The Same?
- Sample a Semi-Vegetarian Lifestyle With a Flexitarian Diet
- Milk: When the First Food May Be the Best Food
- How to Lose Weight Safely
Copyright © 2012 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.