Paul McGinley Named 2014 European Ryder Cup Captain
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Paul McGinley has been named captain of the 2014 European Ryder Cup team that will see action at Gleneagles, Scotland.
The 46-year-old McGinley was a three-time Ryder Cup participant and served as assistant captain the past two Ryder Cups to Colin Montgomerie in 2010 and Jose Maria Olazabal last September at Medinah.
McGinley was picked by a European Tour tournament committee comprised of 15 players during a meeting at St. Regis Hotel, beating out Montgomerie for the job.
According to committee chairman Thomas Bjorn, Spain's Miguel Angel Jimenez, Scotland's Paul Lawrie and Scotland's Sandy Lyle also were considered for the position.
"Obviously absolutely thrilled and delighted to have this honor to lead the European team,'' said McGinley, who posted a 2-2-5 record in three winning European appearances and has four career European Tour titles.
"To be leading the cream of the crop in the Ryder Cup is going to be a huge honor. To be honest, it is quite a humbling experience to be sitting in this seat. It is a week I am really looking forward to," he added.
McGinley and his team will go up against the United States, who will be captained by surprise pick Tom Watson for the second time.
World No. 1 golfer Rory McIlroy expressed support behind McGinley's selection.
"I have a very strong opinion about this," McIlroy said."I really think Paul deserves it. He's been a great player and a great personality for the European Tour over the years and a great captain."
- Adam Scott Outlasts Angel Cabrera to Win Masters
- Tiger Captures Eighth Arnold Palmer Title, Regains No. 1 Ranking
- Tiger Cuts Rory McIlroy's World Golf Rankings Lead in half
- Nicklaus doesn't buy McIlroy's new club, toothache excuses
- McIlroy and Woods Clash in Friendly Contest after Match Play elimination
- Mickelson Blows Birdie Putt, Misses Joining Elite '59' Club
- Paul McGinley Named 2014 European Ryder Cup Captain
- Nike Introduces No. 1 Golfer Rory McIlroy as Latest Endorser
- Tom Watson Top Candidate to Lead U.S. Ryder Cup Squad
- Olympic Swimming Star Michael Phelps Buries 153-Foot Putt
- Mahan and Fowler Among Those Left Off Ryder Cup Team
- Davis Love III Announces Captain's Picks for US Ryder Cup team
- Augusta National Adds First Two Female Members
Copyright © 2013 AHN - All Rights Reserved