Shortcuts to a Bright and White Smile
Hope DeAngelis Schmid
Hollywood starlets aren't the only ones who can achieve a bright, fetching smile; an ultra-white grin is easier to get than you may think.
From do-it-yourself tricks to dental office techniques to makeup enhancers, there are many ways to get whiter teeth.
Schedule That Checkup
Regular cleanings can go a long way toward a whiter smile, says Robert I. Schwartz, a dentist and an accredited member of the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry who practices in New York City's Central Park South. "Simple offenders like red wine, smoke, chocolate and blueberries can leave a superficial film on your teeth that darkens their outer surface. A normal visit with a dental hygienist for a cleaning and a polishing alone may be enough to enhance your smile," says Schwartz.
Brushing morning and night and after you eat dark foods will help prevent stains from forming in the first place. If you can't brush, try chewing gum or swirling water around your mouth after you eat.
If you want more whitening, the next step is an at-home bleaching product. They're easy and affordable, and they make a significant improvement for many people -- often on par with in-office whitening, says Schwartz.
The one benefit to office procedures is that they generally use lasers, which shorten the treatment time, so results are immediate. However, you'll pay significantly more at the dentist's office than you would for at-home options.
Fake It With Makeup
The right lip color can make your teeth look brighter. Jan Simone, a makeup artist for film, television and fashion photography, says that in the past women wore blue-reds to whiten their smiles; but that actually makes you look older. Yikes! Instead, Simone says, "For a young, fresh look for spring, light pinks and mauves will help to brighten your smile." She also recommends adding a touch of silvery light gloss to the center of the bottom lip to make your pout appear vibrant and fuller.
Hope DeAngelis Schmid has written for many websites, including DailyMakeover.com, Sephora's Beauty and the Blog, Glamour's Beauty Blog and TheDCLadies.com. She is the co-founder of the popular travel website, TheJetSetGirls.blogspot.com.
Available at Amazon.com
- How to Get Kate Middleton's Style
- Frosted Makeup Trend
- Curly-haired Ladies: How to Get out of a Hair Rut
- Hair Trend Alert: Ombre Color
- Marilyn Monroe-inspired Hairstyles
- Find the Right Conditioner for Your Hair
- Cool New Pair of Sunglasses
- The Ultimate Guide to Looking Cool in Khaki
- 4 Staples for Sizzling Summer Style
- Trench Coats and Rain Coats
- How to Buy a Suit
- Are You Using the Right Soap for Your Skin?
- Wedding Beauty Countdown
- 4 Steps to a New Spring Look
- Shortcuts to a Bright and White Smile
- 4 Beauty Products to Keep in Your Summer Makeup Bag
- Spring's Fresh Makeup Shades
- Spring Makeup: Sunny Colors
- The Best Blondes for Spring
- The Hottest Nail Colors This Season
- Six Tips for Sporting Denim This Spring
- Simple Ways to Spring-clean Your Closet
- Make Over Your Spring Skin Care
- Hair Styles: 1920s-inspired Waves
- Hair Color Trend: Brunettes Are Back
- Make Over Your Hair and Makeup for Spring
- Making Sense of Fashion Sense
- Hair Products: Do You Need His-and-hers?
- How to Wear Spring's Pastel Makeup
- Express Beauty: Get Gorgeous in No Time
- Get a Short Hairdo -- or Try One Virtually
- Styling a Ponytail Video
- Quick Ways to Create Texture and Volume Video
- Makeup Trend: Orange Lipstick
- Spring's Must-have Statement Jewelry
- Four Steps to a New Spring Look
- Four Ways to Fake Great Legs
- Celebrity Hair Comeback: The Farrah Flip
- The Modern Smoky Eye
- Beauty From the Inside Out
- Celebrity Style: Best Oscar Hair
- Kate Middleton: Royal Wedding Beauty
- Amanda Peet's Beauty Secrets
- Mix-and-match Your Wardrobe for Spring
- Switch up Your Hair Care Routine
- Find the Right Conditioner for Your Hair
- New Bang Trend: Center-parted Bangs
- Your Guide to Face Primers
- Simple Ways to Touch up Hair and Makeup
- Get Inspired by Fashion Icons
- All About the Gel Manicure
- Top Hair and Beauty Trends From the Oscars
- Updo? Can Do!
- Add Shine to Your Hair
- How to Get Gorgeous as You Sleep
- Winter Shorts
- Blond Pixies
- Hair and Makeup Trends: New York Fall Fashion Week
- Hair Trends: Chin-Length Bob
- Kate Walsh's Beauty Tips
- Get a Natural-looking Faux Tan
- The Best Hair and Beauty Trends From the Grammys
- Create Flawless Skin With Concealer
- Best Oscar Makeup
- New York Fashion Week Makeup Forecast
- New Hair Trends for Spring
- Add Color to Your Winter-weather Wardrobe
- Celebrity Hair Trend: Fake-out Hairstyles
- The Most Painless Way to Grow Out a Layered Bob
- How to Choose a Pixie Cut
- Celebrity Makeup for the Oscars
- Simple Steps for Healthy Skin and Hair
- Tailored Shirts at Off-the-rack Prices
- Hot Looks for Date Night
Copyright © 2011 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.