How to Look Gorgeous in Metallic Makeup
Carrie Stern Kleiner
Silver bells, five golden rings and snow that sparkles like diamonds give us reason to celebrate this season.
Extend the festive color flair to your makeup with heavy metals. Sometimes, metallic makeup can be a bit too icy snow globe instead of shiny party queen, so we got top makeup artists to give their insider tips to looking more shining star than disco ball.
Take an unexpected twist on the smoky eye by choosing a gorgeous copper metallic shadow. Keep it tame (and age-appropriate) by choosing finely milled, shimmered shadows instead of chunky glitter formulations.
A strong base will protect your end results. Prime the eye area with a wash of concealer over the lid, says celebrity makeup artist Napoleon Perdis, who has worked with Debra Messing and Leighton Meester. This gives shadow a stay-put anchor and ensures an even color finish.
“Trace a brown liner along the rim of your eyes,” says Perdis. Dab the color slightly in the outer corner of the upper lid, then press a loose metallic copper powder shadow over the entire lid and into the outer lower lash line for drama.
Pair it with a soft pink gloss for a glam-rock look that is powerful yet pretty. Or go neutral; it keeps the focus on your eyes.
Shimmering and Smoky
A metallic gunmetal gray is a soft alternative to a heavy-handed smoky eye. The shimmering color also imparts a similar sparkle as silver shadow. And this heavy-metal shade packs the same punch, without the risk of looking like a dolled-up tween.
Flawless skin is the best complement to highlighted eyes. Blend a tinted moisturizer sans luminescence over skin to even redness and cover any spots or blemishes.
Layer on Color:
Using a black pencil, line along the top and bottom lashes and smudge. Sweep a gunmetal-gray shadow across the entire lid, says Perdis. Then, lightly work the same shade under the lower lash line for a soft, smoky effect. For easy blending, try a cream-to-powder formulation and apply with your fingers. Accent the inner corners with a dab of a white-silver metallic shadow.
Nude lips in a creamy formulation are the perfect pairing to this cool, gray metallic eye. For a more dramatic effect, line lips with a pop of bright red lipstick.
Metal mania has hit the nail salon too. And with sparkle-infused lacquers, you can embrace the trend day or night. Gold, bronze and silver shades are the hot new neutral, go-with-anything polish. But it doesn't end there: All colors -- from aubergine to chrome -- can work in a glittering finish.
Keep nails short and squoval (a rounded-edged square). Longer lengths can look garish.
For the most even finish and best burst of color, apply a base coat before painting nails. Don't feel like you need to invest in metallic lacquers, says celebrity manicurist Roseann Singleton, who has worked with Jennifer Lopez and Brooke Shields. Instead grab a clear iridescent topcoat and transform any color you have into a chic glittering shade.
Make It Last:
A few days after your mani, apply an extra layer of topcoat to extend the life of your manicure and keep it shimmering as long as possible.
Carrie Stern Kleiner has contributed to publications including The Knot, TotalBeauty.com, Fitness and Health. She was an editor for New York Magazine Wedding Guide and the senior beauty editor for Quick and Simple magazine.
Available at Amazon.com
- Holiday Fashions for Every Occasion
- Solving Your Most Common Fashion Mistakes
- Healthy Hair Tips from the Inside-out
- Side-Ponytail Hair Trend
- How do I pick the right shade of at-home hair color?
- Hot New Hair Accessories
- Avoid Bad Hair Days This Winter
- Makeup Trend Alert: Violet Eyes
- How to Look Gorgeous in Metallic Makeup
- Best Lighting for Makeup Application
- The No-mascara Makeup Look
- Modern Holiday Makeup
- Have Glowing Skin for All Seasons
- Revise Your Wardrobe for Fall
- Skin Care Smarts
- Banish Dry Winter Skin
- Cold-weather Hair Care
- Top Makeup Tips From New York Fashion Week
- Seeing Red? Tomato-red Hair Color
- 5 Steps to Smoky Eyes
- How to Wear Prints This Fall
- Dry Shampoo Techniques
- Top 3 Radiance-Boosting Beauty Tricks
- New and Improved: The Jegging
- Integrate 'Mad Men' Fashion Style Into Your Wardrobe
- Dress Away the Pounds
- Beauty Habits That Add on Years
- Treats for Skin
- How to Tame Your Curly Textured Hair
- The Perfect Face for Special Events
- Get Glowing All Over Beauty Treatments
- Change Your Hair Color Change Your Makeup
- The Costume Hater's Guide to Halloween
- Decoding Cosmetics Labels: A Little Sleuthing Can Tell You a Lot
- Five Must-have Fall Accessories
- Top 3 Fall and Winter Hair Trends
- Fashion Rules to Break
- How to Stretch Your Summer Wardrobe Into Fall
- Backstage Beauty from Runway to Real Way
- Style Extras to Make You Look Like a Rock Star
- Your Man's Grooming
- Flaunting Your Freckles
- The 411 on Facials
- Foods for Beautiful Skin
- How to Cover Grays
- 6 Tricks for Shiny Hair
- 5 Steps to Fabulous Fall Hair
- Keep Your Faux Tan Going
- Vampire Makeup
- The Right Style of Bangs for Your Face
- Deep Side Parts
- Year-round Sunscreen Secrets
- Get That Celebrity Look
- The Perfect Jeans Wardrobe
- The How to Look Gorgeous in Metallic Makeup
- Post-Summer Skin and Hair Rehab
- Give Your Man a Style Makeover
- Quick Tips for Beautiful Hair
- Hassle-free Haircuts for Busy Moms
- Trend Alert: Matte Hair Styles
- Brazilian Blowout
- Keep Your Favorite Clothes Looking Like New
- 1980s Style: Take 2
- Get That Look
- What to Pack for a Weekend Getaway
- Beauty Below the Chin
- Anti-Frizz Products for Medium - Thick Hair
- The Right Haircut for Your Personality
- Be a Beautiful Brunette
- Secrets to Getting Gorgeous Hair
- Personalize This Summer's Trends
- Be Product-ive With Your Hair
- Mature Makeup Makeovers
- Custom-blended Perfume Scents
- Summer Style Rules for Work
- Hot Summer Trends at Cool Prices
- Stop Oily Skin This Summer
- The Boom in Full-figure Bras
- Extreme Hair Makeover: Are You Ready for It?
- Wake up Sleepy Eyes
- Fashion Week Nail Trends
- Protect Your Hair on Vacation
- Simple Ways to Go Green in Your Beauty Routine
- Spa Treatments From Your Kitchen
- Love Your Body in a Bathing Suit
- Six Tricks for Shiny Beautiful Hair
- The Beauty Rules of Order
- Closet Organization Made Easy
- Dress Better Than Your Boyfriend
- Solutions for Oily Hair
- Summer Hair Protection
- How to Build a Year-round Wardrobe
- From the It Bag to the Do-it-your-way Bag
- How to Dye Your Hair at Home
- The Most Gorgeous Hair in Sports
- Pluck Your Eyebrows Like a Pro
- Fashion Runway-Style Hair
- From Neglected to Natural Nails
- Look Fashionable on Any Budget
- Weatherproof Beauty
- Buh-Bye, Bed Head!
- Fight Frizz Before It Starts
- Be Your Best in a Dress
- The DIY Blow dry
- Gorgeous Hair: Getting Most from Conditioners
- Jewelry Trend: Big Statement on a Small Budget
- Day-to-night Chic in a Flash
- How to Be a Red Carpet Beauty
- Beauty SOS
- Party Makeup in 3 Minutes or Less
Copyright © 2010 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.