The Quitting Quiz
Thomas P. Farley
What are the telltale signs that the time has come to leave your job?
Take this Men's Life Today test for a definitive answer to an age-old question: Should you stay or should you go?
1) Every Monday morning, as you ponder the workweek ahead, you pull out your iPod and put one particular track on repeat. Its title is:
a) "The Lazy Song" (Bruno Mars)
b) "Just Can't Get Enough" (Black Eyed Peas)
c) "Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)" (Katy Perry)
d) "Forget You" -- and not the clean version (Cee Lo Green)
2) When you get in late, your boss:
a) Doesn't notice, because he never strolls in before noon anyway.
b) Asks if everything's OK, since you're usually the first one in the office.
c) Pulls you aside and tells you not to let it happen again.
d) Screams that the next time you're tardy with his dry cleaning, there will be hell to pay.
3) Your workplace attire consists of:
a) Bed head, baggy shorts and a pair of turquoise flip flops.
b) A three-piece suit, wing tips and a freshly sharpened pencil on the ready, tucked behind your ear.
c) An Oxford shirt, khakis, and -- for rare occasions -- a Kevlar vest.
d) An airport gift that reads: "My Boss Went to Sheboygan and All He Got Me Was this Lousy T-shirt."
4) At lunchtime, you:
a) Drive home for a nap, followed by a little Angry Birds action, followed by another nap.
b) Eat at your desk to save time. Gotta love multitasking!
c) Bring your PB&J into the conference room and complain to your work buds about the idiots in accounting.
d) Fashion voodoo dolls of the CEO using paper clips and a bubble mailer.
5) On Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Day, you:
a) Teach the boss's kids how to make faces on the photocopier and fax the laugh-out-loud results to their teachers.
b) Put together a gripping PowerPoint presentation on how working hard in school truly gets you places!
c) Advise every youngster you see to put off the real world by getting an MBA.
d) Call in sick. Having to be nice to your colleagues is bad enough; being nice to their kids is beyond your pay grade.
6) A typical day's assignment is:
a) Assignment? I'm not sure I'm following you.
b) There is no typical. Every project that lands on your desk is more refreshing and interesting than the last.
c) Not anything to write home about, but at least you've got good dental.
d) So ludicrous and incomprehensible you wonder whether a lobotomized monkey thought it up.
7) When it comes time for the annual company picnic, you:
a) Remind me again of the difference between my job and an actual picnic?
b) Whip up some of your Aunt Sassy's ambrosia for everyone to savor.
c) Bribe your significant other to join you and promise you won't make her stay for the whole thing.
d) You mean that was yesterday? Darn! Now why did I write it down for next week?
8) Upon returning to the office after a week away, you ...
a) Fire up your computer so you can
surf do some research using your favorite websites: Facebook, YouTube and, of course, Men's Life Today .
b) Run to your cube, eager to rifle through the contents of your inbox.
c) Linger by the water cooler, sharing -- with anyone who will listen -- the tales of the traveler's checks you lost in Colonial Williamsburg.
d) Have 17,543 emails to answer. Of those, you count 16,876 marked "URGENT."
Calculate your answers according to the values assigned to each:
a = 1 point
b = 2 points
c = 3 points
d = 4 points
If you scored a total of...
8 to 12:
Are you seriously getting paid to do what you do? Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, dude. Ride this one all the way to retirement!
13 to 19:
Congratulations you worker bee, you! Sounds like you're in a job that you were born to inhabit!
20 to 26: Your current means of earning a living might not be as exhilarating as driving racecars, but it sure ain't ditch-digging, either. Since you never can be too sure, though, might as well dust off the old resume ... just in case.
27 to 32:
Get thee to a recruiter without delay. This job is making you miserable.
For more career and personal development advice, visit iHaveNet.com Careers
- 6 Ways to Network While You're in College
- How to Get the Salary You Want Even in This Economy
- The Quitting Quiz
- Can I Afford to Quit My Job?
- Green Your Commute
- Many Once-Standard Workplace Benefits Disappearing
- 5 Factors to Consider Before Relocating for a Job
- How to Take Off After a Layoff
- Unemployed for Life?
- Employers Increasingly Trimming Or Cutting Disability Benefits
- Boost Your Mood with This Simple Trick
- How to Create a Career without a Full-Time Job
- Become Unbreakable: 10 Tips to Create More Personal Resilience
- Get Over Yourself! Learn This Secret to Boost Your Confidence
- Steve Jobs: 5 Secrets of Success
- Do One Simple Thing to Immediately Increase Your Power
- Take Charge of Your Professional Development
- 6 Ways the World of Work is Changing
- Mastering the New Freelance Economy
- How to Deal with a Gap on Your Resume
- 6 Things You Must Do Today to Stay Sane in an Insane World
- How to Make a Career Back-Up Plan
- Navigate the Booming Computer Science Market
- How Higher Education Affects Lifetime Salary
- Unfinished College Degree Means Less Money
- Start Living Your Miracle Life
- Workplace Benefits That Are Rapidly Disappearing
- 5 Common Resume Misconceptions
- How Social Media Can Help 50-Plus Workers Find Jobs
- How to Run a Meeting that Won't Tick Off Employees
- Job Opportunity for Entrepreneurial New Grads
- LinkedIn Offers New Options for Students
- 12 Ways to Be More Creative at Work
- Can You Answer the Miracle Question?
- Getting Ahead in Hard Times
- Why New Graduates Should Consider Entrepreneurship
- 6 Tips for the Hopeful Entrepreneur
- Think Startups are Fueling the Recovery? Not So Much
- How the Crippled Housing Market Affects Job Seekers
- 5 Business Lessons You Can Learn From Mark Zuckerberg
- How to Use Twitter to Change Careers
- Tips for College Grads Starting First Jobs
- 5 Ways Your Negative Friends Can Drag You Down
- Job Market Sucks? Not for Techies
- How to Land a Job in Tech Even if You Don't Write Code
- 5 Creative Ways to Showcase Your Resume Online
- Can Profanity Help Your Career?
- Business Schools Hope to Shatter Sturdy Glass Ceiling
- Failure Is Now Fashionable
- How to Mesh In-Person and Online Networking
- How Facebook and Your Free Time Can Get You Fired
- Why You Should Ditch the Quest for the Perfect Career
- Best Travel Companies to Work For
- The Oprah Effect: Ultimate Star-Maker Moves On As Should We
- Companies with the Most Older Workers
- 9 Companies Hiring Now
- Find New Law Jobs in a Slow Economy
- Make a Difference (And a Fortune!) Sharing Your Advice
- Business Management the Dog Way
- Healthcare Jobs on the Rise
- Can I Afford to Take a Sabbatical?
- How to Position Yourself to Change Careers
- How to Create Superstar Employees: Beyond Work-Life Balance
- The 10 Worst Cities for Job Seekers
- Hate Your Job? 3 Ways to Find a Better Job
- Alternative Career Options for Burned-Out Lawyers
- Where the Engineering Jobs Are
- Top 25 Companies for Work-Life Balance
- Tips for Communicating Well at Work
- Where the M.B.A. Jobs Are
- Not Too Late to Find a Summer Job or Internship
- When Surviving is Not Enough
- Navigating the Digital Job Market When You're Not Tech Savvy
- What Your Name Says About You in the Workplace
- Yoga Teaching Increasingly Popular as Second Career
- 9 Tips to Stop Caring What Others Think
- When Using Job Boards It Pays to Go Niche
- New Site Helps You Use Facebook for Your Job Search
- Tips to Create More Energy and Confidence
- When Your Dream Company is Hiring on Twitter
- Grads May Find More Jobs at Entrepreneurial Firms
- 3 Steps to Create a More Powerful Self-Image
- Switching Jobs in Bad Times: Should You Make the Leap?
- Extra Income: Bring in the Cash
- Treat Your Career Like a SmartPhone
- And on the Side, I'm an Entrepreneur
- Trouble at the Office
- How to Invest Your Time and Energy for Maximum Success
- Is It Time to Go Back to School?
- A Balanced Life is for Losers
- Thinking of Starting a Business? Look Before You Leap
- The Most Effective Ways to Look for a Job
- The Death of the One-Page Resume?
- Brighter Job Outlook for Class of 2011
- Quitting Fear Inc
- How Morning Exercise Can Boost Your Career
- Women's Day: Life (and Work) Lessons Every Woman Should Learn
- Stop Waiting for Permission
- Proactive Job-Search Strategy: Pitch Your Dream Company
- Cover Letters That Work
- Change Your Life and Create a Personal Revolution
- Taking a New Job Without Burning Bridges at the Old Job
- The Right Job at the Right Time
- The Quickest Way to Radically Improve Your Life: Use Radical Change
- 8 Workplace Perks for New Parents
- Reach Your Goals More Quickly: Use Incremental Change
- What the .Jobs Domain Means for Job Seekers
- Finding the Right Skill Set
- Project Management Tips From the Pros
- 10 Best Cities to Get a Job
- How to Be a Smart Job-Hopper
- How Job Seekers Can Build Their Online Brand
- Take Your Resume to the Next Level: Video
- 5 Smart Tactics for LinkedIn Self-Promotion
- Rise in Social Media Jobs Means Opportunity for Job Seeker
- Want More Clout? Stand Up Straight
- Hang Onto People Who'll Help You Advance
- Best Jobs 2011: Emergency Management Specialist
- 10 Jobs That Offer a Big Bang for Your Buck
- Best Career Advice: 2011
- Career Advice Hits of 2010
- Careful Actions Can Lead to Good Luck
- The Top 50 Companies to Work For
- Never Let Excuses Drag You Down Again
- Why Power Naps at Work Are Catching On
- 6 Steps to Polish Up Your Resume
- 6 Tips for GenY on the Job Hunt
- Be Wary About Chancing a Workplace Romance
Careers - The Quitting Quiz
Copyright © 2011 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.