New Books: Spotlight on the Middle East
by Doris Carrion, Leonie Northedge, Ranj Alaaldin
Max Blumenthal, "Goliath: Life and Loathing in Greater Israel"
Goliath is a portrayal of politics and society in
Max Blumenthal's account ranges from meetings in the Knesset and coffee with tech entrepreneurs in the mixed Jewish-Arab
towns of Jaffa and
The book is written as an expose and so discrimination against the Arab population and African immigrants is a significant
part of the story, alongside the rise of the far-Right in Israeli politics. Although this is a well-researched depiction of
disturbing trends in Israeli society, Blumenthal tends to highlight
The Israelis presented are either tear-gassed activists or hatefilled racists. A less polarizing portrayal would have found
a wider audience among readers interested in
Amazon.com: Goliath: Life and Loathing in Greater Israel
In 2005, while on a research trip to write a
Beginning with her 2005 visit to the country -- not her first, as the author had spent her career in the
Throughout the narrative, Darke traces the fate each place, person and monument has met since the 'events' that began in 2011. Her sympathetic character portraits, and description of the losses suffered by each of her friends, give the conflict a human face which remains hidden in much media coverage.
Part memoir, part travelogue and part reflection on
Zaid al-Ali, "The Struggle for Iraq's Future: How Corruption, Incompetence and Sectarianism Have Undermined Democracy"
Al-Ali, an Iraqi who spent most of his life outside
The book is set in the post-conflict reconstruction phase between 2003 and 2008. An analysis of
Al-Ali's efforts to propose a roadmap for
Al-Ali should be commended for extensive travel to
Also at Amazon.com:
- Get Lost in a Good Book: Spring / Summer Reading List
- 'The Grapes of Wrath' Resonates 75 Years Later
- Arianna Huffington: Getting Satisfaction
- New Books: Spotlight on the Middle East
- The Myth of the Strong Leader
- Steve Biko: Father of Black Consciousness
- A Selection of World War I Books
- West Africa Reading List
- Patricia Wells' 'French Kitchen Cookbook'
- Dick, Ike and Ted
- Crime Writing in Translation
- Euro Crime Writers
- The Rich Life or the Good Life?
- Unfair Obama Bashing - The Dispensable Nation: American Foreign Policy in Retreat
- Reading List on Pakistan
- Iran's Nuclear Fallout
- Reading List: Ideas that Nudged Governments
Article: Copyright © 2014, Tribune Content Agency.
"New Books: Spotlight on the Middle East "