Lakers Struggling, But Kobe Tops NBA All-Star Balloting
Kobe Bryant garnered 1,591,437 votes to become the leading vote-getter in the NBA All-Star game for the third time in his career.
He beat out LeBron James by fewer than 8,000 votes.
Bryant is having one of his best offensive seasons in years, leading the NBA in scoring at 29.9 points per game for the Los Angeles Lakers. In 17 seasons, it was Bryant's 15th consecutive All-Star selection, a record.
A four-time All-Star MVP (2002, 2007, 2009, and 2011), Bryant holds the distinction as the youngest All-Star in NBA history (1998). In last year's All-Star Game in Orlando, he passed Michael Jordan as the game's all-time scoring leader.
He is joined by Los Angeles Clippers' Chris Paul (929,155) as the other Western Conference starter at guard. Oklahoma City Thunder forward Kevin Durant (1,504,047), Lakers center Dwight Howard (922,070) and Clippers forward Blake Griffin (863,832) comprise the starting frontcourt.
Joining James in the Eastern Conference frontcourt are the New York Knicks' Carmelo Anthony (1,460,950) and the Boston Celtics' Kevin Garnett (553,222. The East guards are the Heat's Dwyane Wade (1,052,310) and the Celtics' Rajon Rondo (924,180).
This season's voting marks the first time that fans have been asked to vote for three frontcourt players instead of two forwards and one center.
The 62nd NBA All-Star Game will be played at the Toyota Center in Houston on Sunday, Feb. 17 at 8 p.m. ET.
- Bobcats Ben Gordon Dangled for Nets Kris Humphries
- Bulls Carlos Boozer for Raptors Andrea Bargnani Trade Explored
- New Ownership Group Files to Relocate Sacramento Kings to Seattle
- Dwight Howard Seeks to Salvage Season with Lakers
- Reggie Evans: Comments on LeBron, Heat Blown Out of Proportion
- Grizzlies Trade Forward Rudy Gay to Raptors
- Allen Iverson Rejects Offer from D-League Texas Legends
- Duncan and Harden Among Top Reserves Selected to NBA All-Star Game
- New Orleans Name Change to Pelicans Also Has Charlotte Buzzing
- Forbes Rates Knicks as Highest Valued NBA Team
- 7th Grader Becomes Sporting Superstar Knocking Down Treys
- Raptors Exploring Trade for Lakers Pau Gasol
- Kupchak Says Lack of Effort, Not Coach is Lakers Problem
- Grizzlies Cut Payroll by $6M in Trade with Cavs
- Kings Owners Reach Deal to Sell Team to Seattle Group
- Suns Fire Coach Alvin Gentry After 13-28 Start
- Lakers Struggling, But Kobe Tops NBA All-Star Balloting
- Lawsuit Claims Spurs Cheated Fans in Resting Top Players Against Heat
- Dallas Mavericks 'Bank of Cuban' Ready to Deal
- Lakers Executive Jim Buss Wants 'Very Solid' Lakers Team Kept Intact
- P.J. Carlesimo Sees Phil Jackson Pursuing His Nets Coaching Job
- Kobe Posts Staged-Fight Pic with Dwight Howard on Twitter
- Carmelo Anthony Extends Dispute with Garnett Offcourt
- With Team at .500, Scott Skiles Out as Bucks Coach
Copyright © 2013 AHN. All rights reserved