Kupchak Says Lack of Effort, Not Coach is Lakers Problem
Los Angeles, CA
The Los Angeles Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak isn't blaming coach Mike D'Antoni for the team's 17-24 start.
Instead, Kupchak singled out the Lakers' lack of effort as the primary problem.
"I'd like to see better effort on the court. When the ball is not bouncing your way, when shots aren't going in, you just can't seem to get a break, the one thing you can control on the court is your effort and loose balls and running the floor, defending, offensive rebounding," says Kupchak.
Kupchak claimed D'Antoni's system was "more suited to the talent" on the Lakers than Phil Jackson's Triangle offense, and yet several players have had a difficult time fitting in.
Dwight Howard complained about his lack of post-up and shot attempts, and Pau Gasol has balked about coming off the bench, while Antawn Jamison and Jodie Meeks endured sitting out numerous games.
Yet, Kupchak said D'Antoni's shuffling of the roster is evidence that the coach is trying new things in order to win.
"Sometimes a player is just not going to fit. Sometimes a coach has to make changes and compromise in the way he's done things and I think that's what Mike is going through right now is just the process," explains Kupchak about why he has utmost confidence in D'Antoni.
- Bobcats Ben Gordon Dangled for Nets Kris Humphries
- Bulls Carlos Boozer for Raptors Andrea Bargnani Trade Explored
- New Ownership Group Files to Relocate Sacramento Kings to Seattle
- Dwight Howard Seeks to Salvage Season with Lakers
- Reggie Evans: Comments on LeBron, Heat Blown Out of Proportion
- Grizzlies Trade Forward Rudy Gay to Raptors
- Allen Iverson Rejects Offer from D-League Texas Legends
- Duncan and Harden Among Top Reserves Selected to NBA All-Star Game
- New Orleans Name Change to Pelicans Also Has Charlotte Buzzing
- Forbes Rates Knicks as Highest Valued NBA Team
- 7th Grader Becomes Sporting Superstar Knocking Down Treys
- Raptors Exploring Trade for Lakers Pau Gasol
- Kupchak Says Lack of Effort, Not Coach is Lakers Problem
- Grizzlies Cut Payroll by $6M in Trade with Cavs
- Kings Owners Reach Deal to Sell Team to Seattle Group
- Suns Fire Coach Alvin Gentry After 13-28 Start
- Lakers Struggling, But Kobe Tops NBA All-Star Balloting
- Lawsuit Claims Spurs Cheated Fans in Resting Top Players Against Heat
- Dallas Mavericks 'Bank of Cuban' Ready to Deal
- Lakers Executive Jim Buss Wants 'Very Solid' Lakers Team Kept Intact
- P.J. Carlesimo Sees Phil Jackson Pursuing His Nets Coaching Job
- Kobe Posts Staged-Fight Pic with Dwight Howard on Twitter
- Carmelo Anthony Extends Dispute with Garnett Offcourt
- With Team at .500, Scott Skiles Out as Bucks Coach
Copyright © 2013 AHN. All rights reserved