White Sox Land Third Baseman Jeff Keppinger
The Chicago White Sox have filled up the third-base vacancy, reportedly signing free agent Jeff Keppinger to a three-year contract worth $12 million.
The 32-year-old Keppinger is fresh off a career year with the Tampa Bay last season, hitting .325 with 125 hits, 40 RBIs and a career-high nine homers in 115 games.
Keppinger has drawn significant interest with a thin third-base free-agent field on the open market.
Keppinger's three-year deal was initially reported by CBSSports.com and MLB Network while FOX Sports revealed that the White Sox will pay Keppinger about $12 million over the term of the contract.
The nine-year veteran signed a one-year deal with the Rays last season after playing for the San Francisco Giants. He also played for the Houston Astros, New York Mets, Cincinnati Reds and Kansas City Royals.
As utility infielder, Keppinger primarily played first and third for the Rays last season but could become Chicago's everyday third baseman.
It was reported that Keppinger underwent surgery earlier this offseason to repair a break in his right fibula he suffered after tripping down the stairs in his home.
However, he is expected to be fully healthy by mid-January and therefore ready to go when Spring Training begins.
Despite adding Keppinger, the White Sox are also interested in acquiring free-agent third baseman Jack Hannahan.
- Greinke Finds New Home with Dodgers, Inks $147M Six-Year Deal
- Rays Trade Shields to Royals for Prospect Wil Myers
- A-Rod Hopes for Productive Season Upon Return from Surgery
- Dodgers Sign Korean Pitching Ace Ryu
- Rangers Designated Hitter Michael Young Accepts Trade to Phillies
- Pitcher Brandon McCarthy to Join D-Backs
- James Loney Happy to Play for Rays Next Season
- Gardner Avoids Arbitration, Agrees to One-Year Deal with Yankees
- Yankees Targeting Kevin Youkilis
- Why the Mets Should Keep Jon Niese and R.A. Dickey
- White Sox Land Third Baseman Jeff Keppinger
- Rockies Acquire Reliever Wilton Lopez from Astros
- Cubs Ink Japanese Closer Fujikawa to Two-Year Deal
- Lasorda Claims Bonds, Clemens and Sosa Have No Place in Cooperstown
- Angel Pagan Agrees to 4-year Deal with Giants
- Payroll and Arm Woes May Keep Brian Wilson from Getting Giants Deal
- Catching On: Pirates Ink Martin; Red Sox Sign Napoli
- Yankees Slugger A-Rod to Undergo Hip Surgery, Out Six Months
- Braves Trade Starter Hanson to Angels for Reliever Walden
- David Wright Signs Richest Deal in Mets History
- Andy Pettitte Gets One-Year $12M Deal with Yankees
- Upton Becomes Highest Paid Player in Braves History
- Former MLB Players Union Head Marvin Miller Dead at 95
- Joe Torre Picks Coaching Staff for World Baseball Classic
- Evan Longoria Agrees to 6-Year, $100 Million Extension with Rays
- Miguel Cabrera and Buster Posey Named Major League MVPs
- R.A. Dickey and David Price Capture Cy Young Awards
- A's Brandon McCarthy Cleared to Resume Baseball Career
- Torii Hunter Signs Two-Year, $26M Deal with Tigers
- Bob Melvin and Davey Johnson Earn Manager of the Year Awards
- Marlins Deal Jose Reyes and Josh Johnson to Blue Jays in Blockbuster
- Mike Trout, Bryce Harper Snare AL, NL Rookie of the Year Awards
- Indians Need to Show They Want Shin-Soo Choo
- Los Angeles Dodgers in Line for Torii Hunter
- Red Sox Slugger David Ortiz Answers Ex-Manager Bobby Valentine
- Rangers Give $13.3M Qualifying Offer to Slugger Josh Hamilton
- Yankees Closer Mariano Rivera to Return Next Season
- A's Sign Suspended Pitcher Bartolo Colon to One-Year Deal
Copyright © 2012 AHN - All Rights Reserved