Rockies Acquire Reliever Wilton Lopez from Astros
Eyeing to boost their bullpen, the Colorado Rockies have traded right-handed starter Alex White and minor league pitcher Alex Gillingham to the Houston Astros for righty reliever Wilton Lopez and a player to be named or cash.
The 29-year-old Lopez went 6-3 with a 2.17 ERA and 10 saves in 64 appearances last season. He has thrown 205 innings over the last three seasons.
"He's a high-end strike-thrower and he's got a very good ground-ball percentage -- those are two things that are important to us," said Bill Geivett, the Rockies' senior vice president of Major League operations.
"We know he's got the ability to pitch later in games, and for us to strengthen our 'pen we thought this would be a very good move for us. We feel we've got a good bullpen but we feel we can make it stronger," Geivett added.
Lopez will join lefty Rex Brothers and righty Matt Belisle as the Rockies setup men for closer Rafael Betancourt. The Rockies could also use him to close game if Betancourt needs rest
In 232 2/3 career innings, Lopez has 169 career strikeouts against 39 walks and 18 home runs, with 69.2 percent of his outs on ground balls.
"We saw him against us. We really like his stuff in terms of fastball, slider and changeup," Geivett said. "He has a very good sinker in the low-to-mid-90s."
The Rockies gave up the 24-year-old White, who went 2-9 with a 5.51 ERA in 23 games, including 20 starts. He finished with 64 strikeouts against 51 walks in 98 innings.
By acquiring a starter like White, the Astros have fulfilled one of their off-season goals.
"He (Lopez) was our closer at the end of the year, he's been a very effective reliever. But when we look at where we are as an organization and what we have to accomplish -- to be able to bring a starting pitcher like Alex White," Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow said.
The 23-year-old Gillingham went 6-9 with a 3.66 ERA in 123 innings at Class A Asheville in 2012, his first full pro season. The Rockies selected Gillingham out of Loyola Marymount in the 11th round of the 2011 First-Year Player Draft.
- Greinke Finds New Home with Dodgers, Inks $147M Six-Year Deal
- Rays Trade Shields to Royals for Prospect Wil Myers
- A-Rod Hopes for Productive Season Upon Return from Surgery
- Dodgers Sign Korean Pitching Ace Ryu
- Rangers Designated Hitter Michael Young Accepts Trade to Phillies
- Pitcher Brandon McCarthy to Join D-Backs
- James Loney Happy to Play for Rays Next Season
- Gardner Avoids Arbitration, Agrees to One-Year Deal with Yankees
- Yankees Targeting Kevin Youkilis
- Why the Mets Should Keep Jon Niese and R.A. Dickey
- White Sox Land Third Baseman Jeff Keppinger
- Rockies Acquire Reliever Wilton Lopez from Astros
- Cubs Ink Japanese Closer Fujikawa to Two-Year Deal
- Lasorda Claims Bonds, Clemens and Sosa Have No Place in Cooperstown
- Angel Pagan Agrees to 4-year Deal with Giants
- Payroll and Arm Woes May Keep Brian Wilson from Getting Giants Deal
- Catching On: Pirates Ink Martin; Red Sox Sign Napoli
- Yankees Slugger A-Rod to Undergo Hip Surgery, Out Six Months
- Braves Trade Starter Hanson to Angels for Reliever Walden
- David Wright Signs Richest Deal in Mets History
- Andy Pettitte Gets One-Year $12M Deal with Yankees
- Upton Becomes Highest Paid Player in Braves History
- Former MLB Players Union Head Marvin Miller Dead at 95
- Joe Torre Picks Coaching Staff for World Baseball Classic
- Evan Longoria Agrees to 6-Year, $100 Million Extension with Rays
- Miguel Cabrera and Buster Posey Named Major League MVPs
- R.A. Dickey and David Price Capture Cy Young Awards
- A's Brandon McCarthy Cleared to Resume Baseball Career
- Torii Hunter Signs Two-Year, $26M Deal with Tigers
- Bob Melvin and Davey Johnson Earn Manager of the Year Awards
- Marlins Deal Jose Reyes and Josh Johnson to Blue Jays in Blockbuster
- Mike Trout, Bryce Harper Snare AL, NL Rookie of the Year Awards
- Indians Need to Show They Want Shin-Soo Choo
- Los Angeles Dodgers in Line for Torii Hunter
- Red Sox Slugger David Ortiz Answers Ex-Manager Bobby Valentine
- Rangers Give $13.3M Qualifying Offer to Slugger Josh Hamilton
- Yankees Closer Mariano Rivera to Return Next Season
- A's Sign Suspended Pitcher Bartolo Colon to One-Year Deal
Copyright © 2012 AHN - All Rights Reserved