Payroll and Arm Woes May Keep Brian Wilson from Getting Giants Deal
San Francisco, CA
Giants officials have "hinted" that Brian Wilson won't receive a contract offer, according to the San Francisco Chronicle.
No less than $6.8 million could be offered to Wilson since his salary of $8.5 million cannot be reduced by more than 20 percent
The Giants could non-tender Wilson, which would make him a free agent, then sign him for less than $2 million due to limitations in the payroll room.
The team has already committed approximately $84 million to eight players.
MLBTradeRumors.com projected that seven salary arbitration-eligible Giants ultimately will receive more than $32 million.
If those projections are close to being accurate, the Giants will have spent $116 million on 15 players.
Should the Giants succeed in retaining free agents Marco Scutaro and Angel Pagan, and add a significant free agent, the salaries would soar past $145 million.
Along with the questionable state of his pitching arm, the Giants might be reluctant to offer him even the 20 percent salary reduction.
- Greinke Finds New Home with Dodgers, Inks $147M Six-Year Deal
- Rays Trade Shields to Royals for Prospect Wil Myers
- A-Rod Hopes for Productive Season Upon Return from Surgery
- Dodgers Sign Korean Pitching Ace Ryu
- Rangers Designated Hitter Michael Young Accepts Trade to Phillies
- Pitcher Brandon McCarthy to Join D-Backs
- James Loney Happy to Play for Rays Next Season
- Gardner Avoids Arbitration, Agrees to One-Year Deal with Yankees
- Yankees Targeting Kevin Youkilis
- Why the Mets Should Keep Jon Niese and R.A. Dickey
- White Sox Land Third Baseman Jeff Keppinger
- Rockies Acquire Reliever Wilton Lopez from Astros
- Cubs Ink Japanese Closer Fujikawa to Two-Year Deal
- Lasorda Claims Bonds, Clemens and Sosa Have No Place in Cooperstown
- Angel Pagan Agrees to 4-year Deal with Giants
- Payroll and Arm Woes May Keep Brian Wilson from Getting Giants Deal
- Catching On: Pirates Ink Martin; Red Sox Sign Napoli
- Yankees Slugger A-Rod to Undergo Hip Surgery, Out Six Months
- Braves Trade Starter Hanson to Angels for Reliever Walden
- David Wright Signs Richest Deal in Mets History
- Andy Pettitte Gets One-Year $12M Deal with Yankees
- Upton Becomes Highest Paid Player in Braves History
- Former MLB Players Union Head Marvin Miller Dead at 95
- Joe Torre Picks Coaching Staff for World Baseball Classic
- Evan Longoria Agrees to 6-Year, $100 Million Extension with Rays
- Miguel Cabrera and Buster Posey Named Major League MVPs
- R.A. Dickey and David Price Capture Cy Young Awards
- A's Brandon McCarthy Cleared to Resume Baseball Career
- Torii Hunter Signs Two-Year, $26M Deal with Tigers
- Bob Melvin and Davey Johnson Earn Manager of the Year Awards
- Marlins Deal Jose Reyes and Josh Johnson to Blue Jays in Blockbuster
- Mike Trout, Bryce Harper Snare AL, NL Rookie of the Year Awards
- Indians Need to Show They Want Shin-Soo Choo
- Los Angeles Dodgers in Line for Torii Hunter
- Red Sox Slugger David Ortiz Answers Ex-Manager Bobby Valentine
- Rangers Give $13.3M Qualifying Offer to Slugger Josh Hamilton
- Yankees Closer Mariano Rivera to Return Next Season
- A's Sign Suspended Pitcher Bartolo Colon to One-Year Deal
Copyright © 2012 AHN - All Rights Reserved