Cubs Ink Japanese Closer Fujikawa to Two-Year Deal
The Chicago Cubs have reportedly inked Japanese closer Kyuji Fujikawa to a two-year, $9.5 million pact Sunday, according to a reliable league source.
The 32-year-old Fujikawa racked up 220 saves with a 1.77 ERA over 12 seasons for Hanshin Tigers but the Cubs' signing of the Japanese hurler also is a gamble given the players' history of injuries.
After suffering an abductor strain injury in 2007, Fujikawa has pitched just 70 innings over the last five years.
Nevertheless, FOX Sports and MLB Network Ken Rosenthal said Cubs GM Jed Hoyer was very impressed by Fujikawa during his tour in Wrigley Field two weeks ago.
Fujikawa will reportedly pocket a $1 million signing bunos and $4 million base salaries in 2013 and 2014. The deal also includes a vesting option worth $5.5 million and $6 million, which will be determined by games logged.
Although the deal with Fujikawa remains unofficial, Hoyer insisted any player movement will not affect the status of Calos Marmol as the main closer for the Cubs.
"If we bring in someone who has closing experience, or a number of guys who have closing experience, that's no knock on Carlos [Marmol]," Hoyer said of the Cubs' current closer. "I think every team in baseball wants to have an assortment of guys back there who, if the need arises, can pitch in the ninth inning. Hopefully we can do that."
- Greinke Finds New Home with Dodgers, Inks $147M Six-Year Deal
- Rays Trade Shields to Royals for Prospect Wil Myers
- A-Rod Hopes for Productive Season Upon Return from Surgery
- Dodgers Sign Korean Pitching Ace Ryu
- Rangers Designated Hitter Michael Young Accepts Trade to Phillies
- Pitcher Brandon McCarthy to Join D-Backs
- James Loney Happy to Play for Rays Next Season
- Gardner Avoids Arbitration, Agrees to One-Year Deal with Yankees
- Yankees Targeting Kevin Youkilis
- Why the Mets Should Keep Jon Niese and R.A. Dickey
- White Sox Land Third Baseman Jeff Keppinger
- Rockies Acquire Reliever Wilton Lopez from Astros
- Cubs Ink Japanese Closer Fujikawa to Two-Year Deal
- Lasorda Claims Bonds, Clemens and Sosa Have No Place in Cooperstown
- Angel Pagan Agrees to 4-year Deal with Giants
- Payroll and Arm Woes May Keep Brian Wilson from Getting Giants Deal
- Catching On: Pirates Ink Martin; Red Sox Sign Napoli
- Yankees Slugger A-Rod to Undergo Hip Surgery, Out Six Months
- Braves Trade Starter Hanson to Angels for Reliever Walden
- David Wright Signs Richest Deal in Mets History
- Andy Pettitte Gets One-Year $12M Deal with Yankees
- Upton Becomes Highest Paid Player in Braves History
- Former MLB Players Union Head Marvin Miller Dead at 95
- Joe Torre Picks Coaching Staff for World Baseball Classic
- Evan Longoria Agrees to 6-Year, $100 Million Extension with Rays
- Miguel Cabrera and Buster Posey Named Major League MVPs
- R.A. Dickey and David Price Capture Cy Young Awards
- A's Brandon McCarthy Cleared to Resume Baseball Career
- Torii Hunter Signs Two-Year, $26M Deal with Tigers
- Bob Melvin and Davey Johnson Earn Manager of the Year Awards
- Marlins Deal Jose Reyes and Josh Johnson to Blue Jays in Blockbuster
- Mike Trout, Bryce Harper Snare AL, NL Rookie of the Year Awards
- Indians Need to Show They Want Shin-Soo Choo
- Los Angeles Dodgers in Line for Torii Hunter
- Red Sox Slugger David Ortiz Answers Ex-Manager Bobby Valentine
- Rangers Give $13.3M Qualifying Offer to Slugger Josh Hamilton
- Yankees Closer Mariano Rivera to Return Next Season
- A's Sign Suspended Pitcher Bartolo Colon to One-Year Deal
Copyright © 2012 AHN - All Rights Reserved