Bob Melvin and Davey Johnson Earn Manager of the Year Awards
The Baseball Writers' Association of America voted Bob Melvin as American League Manager of the Year and Davey Johnson as National League Manager of the Year.
Oakland A's manager Bob Melvin edged out Baltimore Orioles' skipper Buck Showalter, while Washington Nationals' bench boss Davey Johnson was a runaway winner.
Both Melvin and Showalter were voted first or second on all 28 ballots, resulting in the fourth-tightest race in the award's history.
Melvin received 16 first-place votes and 12 second-place ones for a total of 116 points, while Showalter garnered 108 after landing 12 votes for first place and 16 for second.
This is the second such award for Melvin, having won the National League honor in 2007 with the D-Backs. He is the sixth manager to win the award in both leagues.
"There are obviously some different variables to managing in both leagues, and that's probably the one thing that felt special," said Melvin.
Melvin guided a group of rookies and castoffs with the lowest payroll at AL in baseball's toughest division to a 94-win season and American League West title.
In just his first full season at the helm in Oakland, the 51-year-old Melvin steered the A's to their first playoff appearance since 2006.
Meanwhile, Davey Johnson received 23 first-place and finished 54 points ahead of runner-up and Cincinatti Reds' Dusty Baker.
This is also the second time for Davey Johnson to win the award. He won the American League Manager of the Year Award in 1997 as a member of the Orioles.
Johnson credits the front office for supplying him with the players who helped him win his fifth career division title.
He, in turn, is credited for instilling confidence in his players.
Pointing out that he has unfinished business after watching his team lose to the Cardinals in the NL Nat Series, Johnson recently signed an extension to manage the Nationals in 2013. It will mark his last year as a manager. He will then become a team consultant in 2014.
- Miguel Cabrera and Buster Posey Named Major League MVPs
- R.A. Dickey and David Price Capture Cy Young Awards
- A's Brandon McCarthy Cleared to Resume Baseball Career
- Torii Hunter Signs Two-Year, $26M Deal with Tigers
- Bob Melvin and Davey Johnson Earn Manager of the Year Awards
- Marlins Deal Jose Reyes and Josh Johnson to Blue Jays in Blockbuster
- Mike Trout, Bryce Harper Snare AL, NL Rookie of the Year Awards
- Indians Need to Show They Want Shin-Soo Choo
- Los Angeles Dodgers in Line for Torii Hunter
- Red Sox Slugger David Ortiz Answers Ex-Manager Bobby Valentine
- Rangers Give $13.3M Qualifying Offer to Slugger Josh Hamilton
- Yankees Closer Mariano Rivera to Return Next Season
- A's Sign Suspended Pitcher Bartolo Colon to One-Year Deal
- Cardinals Hitting Coach Mark McGwire to Take Dodgers Post
- Red Sox Sign Slugger David Ortiz to Two-Year, $26-Million Deal
- White Sox Ink Peavy to Two-Year Extension, Exercise Option on Floyd
- Peavy and Hellickson Lead Seven Other First-Time Gold Glove Winners
- Jim Leyland to Return as Tigers Manager in 2013
- Giants Sweep Tigers to Capture World Series Title
- As Always, Pitching Wins Championships
Copyright © 2012 AHN - All Rights Reserved