Tigers and Anibal Sanchez Agree to Five-Year Deal
Free-agent starter Anibal Sanchez decided to stay with the Detroit Tigers, signing a five-year, $80 million deal with the team, according to his agent Gene Mato.
The 28-year-old Sanchez, considered as the second most attractive pitcher in the free agent market behind Zach Greinke, has a 48-51 record with a 3.75 career ERA for the Tigers and the Miami Marlins.
Earlier, Greinke signed a six-year, $147 million deal with the Los Angeles Dodgers.
It was earlier reported that Sanchez had reached agreement on a five-year, $75 million contract with the Chicago Cubs but the deal never pushed through and the starting pitcher opted to return to Detroit.
Sanchez started the year with the Marlins but he was traded together with second baseman Omar Infante in the July trade deadline.
Sanchez went 4-6 with a 3.74 ERA in 12 regular-season starts for manager Jim Leyland, and recorded a 1.77 ERA while going 1-2 in three postseason starts.
He will join Justin Verlander, Max Scherzer and Doug Fister at the top of Detroit's 2013 rotation.
Manager Dave Dombrowski earlier said that Rick Porcello and Drew Smyly are likely to compete for the fifth starting spot.
- Nick Swisher Agrees to Four-Year Pact with Tribe
- Pirates Ink Pitcher Nelson Liriano to Two-Year, $14M Deal
- Cubs Ink Hurlers Edwin Jackson and Carlos Villanueva
- Rangers Sign Catcher A.J. Pierzynski to One-Year Deal
- Mariners Trade Jason Vargas to Angels for Kendrys Morales
- Indians Interested in Free-Agent Outfielder Nick Swisher
- Red Sox Sign Shortstop Stephen Drew to One-Year Deal
- R.A. Dickey Agrees to Contract Extension with Blue Jays
- Twins Sign Mike Pelfrey to One-Year Deal
- Mets Looking to Trade Pitcher R.A. Dickey to Blue Jays
- Ichiro Agrees to 'Smaller' $13M Deal with Yankees
- Tigers and Anibal Sanchez Agree to Five-Year Deal
- Angels Sign Josh Hamilton to Five-Year, $125M Pact
- Yankees Closer Mo Rivera Says He'll Be Ready for Opening Day
- Indians Send Choo to Reds, Get Bauer from D-backs
- Yankees Sign Kevin Youkilis; Ichiro Expected to Re-Sign
- R.A. Dickey to Turn Free Agent If Mets Don't Sign Him to Extension
- Greinke Finds New Home with Dodgers, Inks $147M Six-Year Deal
- Rays Trade Shields to Royals for Prospect Wil Myers
- A-Rod Hopes for Productive Season Upon Return from Surgery
- Dodgers Sign Korean Pitching Ace Ryu
- Rangers Designated Hitter Michael Young Accepts Trade to Phillies
- Pitcher Brandon McCarthy to Join D-Backs
- James Loney Happy to Play for Rays Next Season
- Gardner Avoids Arbitration, Agrees to One-Year Deal with Yankees
- Yankees Targeting Kevin Youkilis
- Why the Mets Should Keep Jon Niese and R.A. Dickey
Copyright © 2012 AHN - All Rights Reserved