Royals Sign ex-AL MVP Miguel Tejada to Minor League Deal
Kansas City, MO
The Kansas City Royals have signed former AL Most Valuable Player Miguel Tejada and outfielder Endy Chavez to minor league deals.
Tejada's deal is worth $1.1 million with $400,000 in performance bonuses if he makes the Royals' regular-season roster.
The 38-year-old Tejada, who last played with San Francisco in 2011, said the deal will help him get a chance to return to the Majors.
A six-time All-Star, Tejada has 304 homers and a career batting average of .285 to go along with his 2002 MVP Award. He has 15 seasons of big league experience with the A's, Orioles, Astros, Padres and Giants.
In 2011, Tejada hit .239 with four homers and 26 RBIs in 91 games with the Giants. He spent the 2012 season with Baltimore's Triple-A affiliate in Norfolk until he requested a release, which he was granted on June 25.
Meanwhile, Chavez will return to the team where he made his Major League debut in 2001.
He will compete with Jarrod Dyson for occasional playing time as a fourth outfielder behind starting outfielders Alex Gordon, Lorenzo Cain and Jeff Francoeur.
Chavez has racked up a .269 career average with 26 home runs, 229 RBIs and 100 stolen bases over 11 seasons with seven different teams.
Last year, Chavez hit .203 with a pair of homers and 12 RBIs in 64 games while appearing at all three outfield positions with the Orioles.
- A's Sign Manager Bob Melvin to Two-Year Extension
- Mets Conduct Private Workout for Closer Brian Wilson
- 10 Pleasant Surprises for the Mets in 2012
- Craig Biggio Optimistic About Future MLB Hall of Fame Call
- Baseball Hall Of Fame Voting Ends in Futility as Stars All Shut Out
- MLB to Start In-Season Random HGH Testing for Players
- D-Backs Outfielder Justin Upton Blocks Trade to Mariners
- Indians Give Starting Pitcher Trevor Bauer a Fresh Start
- Adam Laroche Agrees to Two-Year, $24M Deal with Nationals
- Yankees Closer Mariano Rivera to Begin Throwing Session Next Week
- Pitcher Brett Myers Signs One-year Deal with Indians
- David Price Agrees to One-Year Deal with Rays, Avoids Arbitration
- Royals Sign ex-AL MVP Miguel Tejada to Minor League Deal
- Ex-Yankees Outfielder Hideki Matsui Retires
- Nick Swisher Agrees to Four-Year Pact with Tribe
- Pirates Ink Pitcher Nelson Liriano to Two-Year, $14M Deal
- Cubs Ink Hurlers Edwin Jackson and Carlos Villanueva
- Rangers Sign Catcher A.J. Pierzynski to One-Year Deal
- Mariners Trade Jason Vargas to Angels for Kendrys Morales
- Indians Interested in Free-Agent Outfielder Nick Swisher
- Red Sox Sign Shortstop Stephen Drew to One-Year Deal
- R.A. Dickey Agrees to Contract Extension with Blue Jays
- Twins Sign Mike Pelfrey to One-Year Deal
Copyright © 2013 AHN - All Rights Reserved