Red Sox Sign Shortstop Stephen Drew to One-Year Deal
The Boston Red Sox have acquired a potential starting shortstop Monday, signing Stephen Drew to a one-year deal worth $9.5 million, according to a Major League source.
Barring injury, the Red Sox are expected to pick the 29-year-old Drew as the team's starting shortstop over 23-year-old Jose Iglesias.
Drew split last season between the Arizona Diamondbacks and the Oakland A's as he fought through right ankle problems stemming from a nasty injury in 2011.
He hit just .193 with two home runs in 40 games and 155 plate appearances for Arizona, but did better once he was dealt to the upstart A's, hitting five home runs and a .250/.326/.382 line with Oakland.
Drafted by the Diamondbacks 15th overall in 2004, Drew is a lifetime .265/.326/.482 hitter. He reached double-digit homers from 2007-10, but hasn't been able to get enough plate appearances the last two seasons.
Drew had a mutual option for $10 million that both he and the A's declined in favor of a $1.35 million buyout.
Stephen's brother J.D. also played for the Red Sox but retired following the 2011 season.
With Drew's signing, Iglesias is expected to spend another year at Triple-A Pawtucket to keep growing.
Iglesias hit just .118 in 77 Major League plate appearances last season. He has never hit well at Triple-A for an extended time either.
- Nick Swisher Agrees to Four-Year Pact with Tribe
- Pirates Ink Pitcher Nelson Liriano to Two-Year, $14M Deal
- Cubs Ink Hurlers Edwin Jackson and Carlos Villanueva
- Rangers Sign Catcher A.J. Pierzynski to One-Year Deal
- Mariners Trade Jason Vargas to Angels for Kendrys Morales
- Indians Interested in Free-Agent Outfielder Nick Swisher
- Red Sox Sign Shortstop Stephen Drew to One-Year Deal
- R.A. Dickey Agrees to Contract Extension with Blue Jays
- Twins Sign Mike Pelfrey to One-Year Deal
- Mets Looking to Trade Pitcher R.A. Dickey to Blue Jays
- Ichiro Agrees to 'Smaller' $13M Deal with Yankees
- Tigers and Anibal Sanchez Agree to Five-Year Deal
- Angels Sign Josh Hamilton to Five-Year, $125M Pact
- Yankees Closer Mo Rivera Says He'll Be Ready for Opening Day
- Indians Send Choo to Reds, Get Bauer from D-backs
- Yankees Sign Kevin Youkilis; Ichiro Expected to Re-Sign
- R.A. Dickey to Turn Free Agent If Mets Don't Sign Him to Extension
- Greinke Finds New Home with Dodgers, Inks $147M Six-Year Deal
- Rays Trade Shields to Royals for Prospect Wil Myers
- A-Rod Hopes for Productive Season Upon Return from Surgery
- Dodgers Sign Korean Pitching Ace Ryu
- Rangers Designated Hitter Michael Young Accepts Trade to Phillies
- Pitcher Brandon McCarthy to Join D-Backs
- James Loney Happy to Play for Rays Next Season
- Gardner Avoids Arbitration, Agrees to One-Year Deal with Yankees
- Yankees Targeting Kevin Youkilis
- Why the Mets Should Keep Jon Niese and R.A. Dickey
Copyright © 2012 AHN - All Rights Reserved