Rangers Sign Catcher A.J. Pierzynski to One-Year Deal
The Texas Rangers have added another big bat to their lineup, signing free-agent catcher
A.J. Pierzynski to a one-year contract.
Sources confirmed that Pierzynski has agreed to terms with the Rangers, pending a physical.
The 35-year-old Pierzynski hit .278 with career-high 27 homers and 77 RBIs in 135 games for the Chicago White Sox last season and started 121 outings at catcher.
He will provide the Rangers additional punch with the departure of free agent slugger Josh Hamilton and Mike Napoli.
Hamilton signed a five-year deal with the Los Angeles Angels while Mike Napoli received a three-year deal with the Boston Red Sox.
Pierzynski could be used as designated hitter as the Rangers have catcher Geovany Soto under contract for next season.
In 133 career at-bats at Rangers Ballpark, Pierzynski has hit .271 with three homers and 16 RBIs. He has nine doubles, one triple, 19 strikeouts and six walks.
With Pierzynski, Rangers manager Ron Washington will have a chance to mend fences with the catcher that he left off the AL All-Star team.
During that time, Pierzynski expressed displeasure over Washington's decision not to include him in the All-Star squad.
"If (Washington) felt that bad, he would have put me on the team,'' Pierzynski said. "He had an opportunity to and he didn't do it. Obviously, he can feel as bad as he wants, but he didn't feel that bad."
Chicago Tribune sports columnist Steve Rosenbloom on the Cubs signing two 29-year-old pitchers for the upcoming season
Real reason for Cubs' free-agent pursuit
- Nick Swisher Agrees to Four-Year Pact with Tribe
- Pirates Ink Pitcher Nelson Liriano to Two-Year, $14M Deal
- Cubs Ink Hurlers Edwin Jackson and Carlos Villanueva
- Rangers Sign Catcher A.J. Pierzynski to One-Year Deal
- Mariners Trade Jason Vargas to Angels for Kendrys Morales
- Indians Interested in Free-Agent Outfielder Nick Swisher
- Red Sox Sign Shortstop Stephen Drew to One-Year Deal
- R.A. Dickey Agrees to Contract Extension with Blue Jays
- Twins Sign Mike Pelfrey to One-Year Deal
- Mets Looking to Trade Pitcher R.A. Dickey to Blue Jays
- Ichiro Agrees to 'Smaller' $13M Deal with Yankees
- Tigers and Anibal Sanchez Agree to Five-Year Deal
- Angels Sign Josh Hamilton to Five-Year, $125M Pact
- Yankees Closer Mo Rivera Says He'll Be Ready for Opening Day
- Indians Send Choo to Reds, Get Bauer from D-backs
- Yankees Sign Kevin Youkilis; Ichiro Expected to Re-Sign
- R.A. Dickey to Turn Free Agent If Mets Don't Sign Him to Extension
- Greinke Finds New Home with Dodgers, Inks $147M Six-Year Deal
- Rays Trade Shields to Royals for Prospect Wil Myers
- A-Rod Hopes for Productive Season Upon Return from Surgery
- Dodgers Sign Korean Pitching Ace Ryu
- Rangers Designated Hitter Michael Young Accepts Trade to Phillies
- Pitcher Brandon McCarthy to Join D-Backs
- James Loney Happy to Play for Rays Next Season
- Gardner Avoids Arbitration, Agrees to One-Year Deal with Yankees
- Yankees Targeting Kevin Youkilis
- Why the Mets Should Keep Jon Niese and R.A. Dickey
Copyright © 2012 AHN - All Rights Reserved