Ichiro Agrees to 'Smaller' $13M Deal with Yankees
New York, NY
Ichiro Suzuki will get $2 million less in returning to the New York Yankees for the the next two seasons.
A deal will be likely finalized Friday that will give Susuki a two-year deal worth $13million.
Susuki, who turned 39 on Oct. 22, needs to pass a physical before the deal becomes official.
The source added that Suzuki is also was being courted by two other teams, both of which were offering more money than the Yankees. One of the teams was said to be the Philadelphia Phillies, who were offering $14 million for two years. The identity of the other team is unknown, but the offer was supposedly $15 million for two years.
"Ichiro really enjoyed playing in New York last year," the source said. "And he really wanted to come back." The source added that Susuki's agent, Tony Attanasio, told the Yankees that Susuki wanted to play for them and asked just for what is fair.
The Yankees acquired Ichiro from the Seattle Mariners just before the July 31 trade deadline for minor-league pitchers D.J. Mitchell and Danny Farquhar. He seemed rejuvenated after joining the Yankees. In 67 games for New York, he batted .322 with a .388 OBP and 14 stolen bases.
Susuki is expected to replace Nick Swisher, a free agent not expected to return to New York, in the right field, although he also can play center in the event the Yankees trade Curtis Granderson.
- Nick Swisher Agrees to Four-Year Pact with Tribe
- Pirates Ink Pitcher Nelson Liriano to Two-Year, $14M Deal
- Cubs Ink Hurlers Edwin Jackson and Carlos Villanueva
- Rangers Sign Catcher A.J. Pierzynski to One-Year Deal
- Mariners Trade Jason Vargas to Angels for Kendrys Morales
- Indians Interested in Free-Agent Outfielder Nick Swisher
- Red Sox Sign Shortstop Stephen Drew to One-Year Deal
- R.A. Dickey Agrees to Contract Extension with Blue Jays
- Twins Sign Mike Pelfrey to One-Year Deal
- Mets Looking to Trade Pitcher R.A. Dickey to Blue Jays
- Ichiro Agrees to 'Smaller' $13M Deal with Yankees
- Tigers and Anibal Sanchez Agree to Five-Year Deal
- Angels Sign Josh Hamilton to Five-Year, $125M Pact
- Yankees Closer Mo Rivera Says He'll Be Ready for Opening Day
- Indians Send Choo to Reds, Get Bauer from D-backs
- Yankees Sign Kevin Youkilis; Ichiro Expected to Re-Sign
- R.A. Dickey to Turn Free Agent If Mets Don't Sign Him to Extension
- Greinke Finds New Home with Dodgers, Inks $147M Six-Year Deal
- Rays Trade Shields to Royals for Prospect Wil Myers
- A-Rod Hopes for Productive Season Upon Return from Surgery
- Dodgers Sign Korean Pitching Ace Ryu
- Rangers Designated Hitter Michael Young Accepts Trade to Phillies
- Pitcher Brandon McCarthy to Join D-Backs
- James Loney Happy to Play for Rays Next Season
- Gardner Avoids Arbitration, Agrees to One-Year Deal with Yankees
- Yankees Targeting Kevin Youkilis
- Why the Mets Should Keep Jon Niese and R.A. Dickey
Copyright © 2012 AHN - All Rights Reserved