A's Achieve Depth with Acqusition of Infielder Jed Lowrie
The Oakland A's landed infielder Jed Lowrie from the Houston Astros in a five-player deal.
They will also receive right-handed reliever Fernando Rodriguez in exchange for power bat Chris Carter, pitcher Brad Peacock and catcher Max Stassi.
Oakland GM Billy Beane Beane said the best possible trade wouldn't be done without Carter in the deal.
The 28-year-old Lowrie will be asked to play at essentially every infield spot. As a switch-hitter, he offers a nice complement to the left-handed Brandon Moss at first base in Carter's absence.
Lowrie brings with him a career .250 average spanning five seasons, none of which amounted to more than 100 games for the oft-injured infielder.
Carter gives the Astros an appealing long-term option at designated hitter, where his at-bats were going to be limited in Oakland because of the excess in outfielders. Peacock was facing a similar situation as the right-hander will be behind at least seven pitchers at the A's camp.
Stassi, meanwhile, is coming off another injury-plagued season.
The trade only came together once Rodriguez was included, however. The 28-year-old righty struck out 78 batters in 70 1/3 innings for the Astros last season.
Beane said that with the Lowrie acquisition, the A's may be done dealing.
- Papelbon Claims Red Sox Injected Players with Toradol
- Yankees Seek to Avoid Bidding War for Robinson Cano
- Despite Contrary Reports, Schilling Maintains PED Advice Occurred
- Pitcher Felix Hernandez, Mariners Close In On 7-year, $175M deal
- Schilling: Ex-Red Sox Members Tried to Convince Me to Use PEDs
- Giants Allow Nine Players to Join World Baseball Classic
- Brewers' Braun Denies Obtaining Banned Substances from Miami Clinic
- Cards Pitcher Chris Carpenter to Miss Season Due to Nerve Injury
- A's Achieve Depth with Acqusition of Infielder Jed Lowrie
- MLB Investigators Seek to Obtain Notebooks Detailing PED Use
- Yankees Using PED Issue to Wiggle Out of A-Rod's Contract
- Stan Musial: The Man
- Dodgers to Start Own Regional Sports Media Network
- Frank Thomas Confident of 2014 Hall of Fame Enshrinement
- MLB Investigates South Florida Wellness Clinics for Ties to Performance Enhancers
- Pitcher Carl Pavano Ruptures Spleen in Snow Shoveling Accident
- Pedro Martinez Lands Front-Office Role with Red Sox
- Mets Lose Outfielder Scott Hairston to Cubs
- Braves Acquire Justin Upton From D-Backs for Five Players
- 10 Biggest Disappointments for the 2012 Mets
Copyright © 2013 AHN - All Rights Reserved