Angels Sign Josh Hamilton to Five-Year, $125M Pact
The Los Angeles Angels signed outfielder Josh Hamilton to a five-year, $125 million pact.
Hamilton has been a star throughout his MLB career for the Texas Rangers, hitting .313 while averaging 33 homers and 107 RBIs the last three seasons.
Texas management indicated it didn't have time to match the offer for the talented, if troubled at times, slugger.
"Our full expectation was that the phone call was going to be before he signed, certainly not after and giving us an idea," Rangers GM Jon Daniels told reporters. "Josh had indicated recently, last week, he told us he felt it might be time to move on, but that we were still talking. I'm not going to get in to the reason, technically, why. I thought we had additional conversations this week that had moved it along in a positive direction. Apparently not."
Hamilton has struggled with alcohol in the past, but is a Christian man with a large fan-base as well.
His ex-Rangers teammate, pitcher C.J. Wilson who signed with the Angels before last season, is excited to have Hamilton with the Halos.
"Really excited to dust off the Xbox controllers for the next few years on the road," Wilson wrote on his Twitter account, @str8edgeracer. "It's a great day to be an Angel/Angel fan!"
SI.com's Ted Keith discusses the impact Josh Hamilton will have on the Angels lineup, and if this tips the balance of power in the division.
Does Hamilton shift power in AL West?
- Nick Swisher Agrees to Four-Year Pact with Tribe
- Pirates Ink Pitcher Nelson Liriano to Two-Year, $14M Deal
- Cubs Ink Hurlers Edwin Jackson and Carlos Villanueva
- Rangers Sign Catcher A.J. Pierzynski to One-Year Deal
- Mariners Trade Jason Vargas to Angels for Kendrys Morales
- Indians Interested in Free-Agent Outfielder Nick Swisher
- Red Sox Sign Shortstop Stephen Drew to One-Year Deal
- R.A. Dickey Agrees to Contract Extension with Blue Jays
- Twins Sign Mike Pelfrey to One-Year Deal
- Mets Looking to Trade Pitcher R.A. Dickey to Blue Jays
- Ichiro Agrees to 'Smaller' $13M Deal with Yankees
- Tigers and Anibal Sanchez Agree to Five-Year Deal
- Angels Sign Josh Hamilton to Five-Year, $125M Pact
- Yankees Closer Mo Rivera Says He'll Be Ready for Opening Day
- Indians Send Choo to Reds, Get Bauer from D-backs
- Yankees Sign Kevin Youkilis; Ichiro Expected to Re-Sign
- R.A. Dickey to Turn Free Agent If Mets Don't Sign Him to Extension
- Greinke Finds New Home with Dodgers, Inks $147M Six-Year Deal
- Rays Trade Shields to Royals for Prospect Wil Myers
- A-Rod Hopes for Productive Season Upon Return from Surgery
- Dodgers Sign Korean Pitching Ace Ryu
- Rangers Designated Hitter Michael Young Accepts Trade to Phillies
- Pitcher Brandon McCarthy to Join D-Backs
- James Loney Happy to Play for Rays Next Season
- Gardner Avoids Arbitration, Agrees to One-Year Deal with Yankees
- Yankees Targeting Kevin Youkilis
- Why the Mets Should Keep Jon Niese and R.A. Dickey
Copyright © 2012 AHN - All Rights Reserved