Just outside President
No actual health-care facility nationwide had as many, and in fact a few still have none at all. But as soon as a Nigerian newspaper took a photo of the ambulances and published a story about them, they suddenly disappeared -- probably to an underground garage.
Jonathan is president of
Nigerian journalist Musikilu Mojeed finds all this so discouraging.
"With its geopolitical power, economic resources and middle class," he laments, "no country (with the possible exception of
So Nigerians are living an opportunity squandered -- particularly now.
A few months ago, the Economist Intelligence Unit published an evaluation of the best places for babies to born in 2013, given their probable welfare as children and the chance for a safe, comfortable, prosperous life.
Even with all that wealth, only just over half the population has access to clean drinking water, and one-third to a toilet,
The CIA also cites endemic "soil degradation; rapid deforestation; urban air and water pollution." All this in a county whose gross domestic product stands at
Well, just last week he demonstrated who he really is and what he stands for when he pardoned a former state governor who'd been convicted of embezzling state funds and laundering the money. That pardon triggered a broad, angry uproar.
Good luck, Mr. Jonathan. It's time you were impeached.
- Africa: The Growing Continent
- Mali: After the War, The Hard Part
- Nigeria's Squandered Opportunity
- Victims of Forgotten War Need the World's Attention
- China Works to Improve Image in Africa
- Will China Wear Out Its Welcome in Africa?
- Richest Businessman Says Libya Is Better Off
- Nobel Laureate Gbowee Laments Liberia's Political Disputes
- Egypt's Turmoil Makes Life Tougher for Refugees
- Anti-Morsi Fervor Grows Despite Shift in Election Dates
- Will Morsi Face Mubarak's Fate in Egypt?
- Somali Government to Relocate IDPs, Welcome Returning Refugees
- Algeria: Return of the Arab Strongman
- The Challenges Facing Zuma
- The Regional Threat Posed by Mali's Militants
- Delusions of the Anti-War Crowd
- Jihadism in North Africa Gets US Attention
- Rising Insecurity in Northern Kenya
- Tunisians Question Future After Politician's Death
- Libyans Wary of Violence in Tunisia
(c) 2013 Distributed By Tribune Media Services, Inc. "Nigeria's Squandered Opportunity"