Jordan Burroughs Delivers Wrestling Gold
Audrey Snyder, USA Wrestling
The sprint off the mat, the leap over the barricades and the footrace through the crowd was exactly how freestyle wrestler Jordan Burroughs envisioned it. With the American flag in tow and fans high-fiving him on his way to section 410 inside the ExCel, it hit him. His Olympic dream came true.
"This has been a long time coming," he said after hugging his mom in the stands. "I've trained for a number of years, dreamed for a number of years and got it done. I executed perfectly and I'm an Olympic champ."
Burroughs claimed the first wrestling gold medal for the U.S. at the 2012 Games and the reigning 74 kg. world champion extended his win streak to 38 consecutive freestyle matches. His championship match against Iran's Sadegh Goudarzi was at a stalemate until Burroughs used the final 30 seconds of each period to secure points. He won by a score of 1-0, 1-0, his fourth victory of the day.
The win marked the third time Burroughs beat Sadegh, with previous victories coming in the world cup and world championships. It cemented Burroughs' guarantee that'd he'd take home the gold, something he openly talked about since well before the Pan American Games last fall. He said there were few doubts about whether or not he'd get it done, but admitted to feeling nervous before his first match of the day.
"I've told everyone I wanted to be the best for a long time and there's a difference between having a plan and actually executing that plan," he said, clinging to his gold medal. "A lot of people thought I was cocky. A lot of people didn't think I had what it takes to be an Olympic champion. No one is laughing anymore."
Burroughs' road to the gold-medal match grew harder as the rounds passed. He fell into a groove early with wins against Puerto Rico's Francisco Soler and Canada's Matthew Gentry.
In the semifinal match against Russia's two-time world champion Denis Tsargush, Burroughs powered his way through the final 30 seconds of the match to secure two points and take the win, 3-1, 0-2, 2-1.
Then, the four-hour wait between the semifinal win and the final match tested his patience. He tried to lie in bed, put his headphones on and checked up on his Twitter account. The pressure was mounting, but he said he thought about what got him to the match. Memories of the practices, the coaches and his family ran through his mind as he tried to settle down.
"I'm a really eager young man so I wanted to win before the tournament had even arrived," he said. "When the Olympic Trials were coming, I was staying up until 3 a.m. every day watching wrestling videos, envisioning myself being the best."
As soon as Burroughs' arm was raised, he was off jumping into the arms of National Coach Zeke Jones and exchanging hugs with Assistant Coach Mark Manning. He wanted to send a message to his five other freestyle teammates who wrestle today and tomorrow (Aug. 11-12) that they too can make it to the top of the podium.
"Jordan was our spark plug going into this tournament," Manning said. "It's a lot of pressure and he knows that and that's part of dealing with all those expectations."
"I'm ready to wrestle anyone that will cross that line. If the Queen of England came out on the mat, I would probably double leg her," the gold medalist joked.
Burroughs also wins a $250,000 bonus as part of the Living the Dream Medal Foundation that was established to help wrestlers stay in the sport. He's not so sure if he can afford the Audi a8 he dreams of but said it's a big change from when he "was a poor college kid" deciding between buying gas and food just a year ago.
For now, he'll settle for eating the celebratory bag of cotton candy he had in his suitcase since he arrived. After all, he's been planning this victory for quite some time and is already talking about a repeat in 2016 in Rio de Janeiro.
"I want to be that star that people can look up to. When you describe wrestling overall in the U.S., I want everyone to know who Jordan Burroughs is," he said.
Earlier on Friday, 55 kg. wrestler Sam Hazewinkel was eliminated after falling to Kazakhstan's Daulet Nyazbekov, 3-1, 2-0, in the opening round. Nyazbekov lost in the semifinals to Russia's Djamal Otarsultanov, thus eliminating Hazewinkel.
Jordan Burroughs of the United States won the gold in men's 74-kg freestyle wrestling and the United States women's 4x100m relay team won the gold medal and set a world record at the Olympic Stadium
Wrestling Gold, Track World Record for U.S.
2012 London Olympics - videos
- London Throws World's Biggest Party at Closing Ceremony
- London Olympics Photos: Stunning Pictures from the Closing Ceremony
- London Olympics Closing Ceremony Nets Big Ratings for NBC
- Record-Breaking Olympic Games for Team USA
- The Moments That Defined Team USA
- Team USA: The Women's Games
- Team USA Men's Basketball: Defending Champs
- USA Battles Spain for 107-100 Win to Capture Olympic Gold Medal
- Russian Sergey Kirdyapkin Wins Grueling Olympic 50km Walk Gold
- Team USA Wraps Up Impressive London 2012 Games in Track and Field
- American Keflezighi Fourth in Men's Olympic Marathon
- Russia Wins Gold; Brazil and Italy Get Silver and Bronze
- Russia Comes From Behind to Beat Brazil for Men's Volleyball Gold
- Russian Dmitriy Muserskiy Sets Scoring Record on Way to Gold Medal
- Zaytsev Hopes Bronze will Take Italy Back to Top of Men's Volleyball World
- Italy Claims Men's Volleyball Bronze Medal vs Bulgaria
- Jake Varner Wins Freestyle Wrestling Olympic Gold Medal
- Destinee Hooker Named Best Spiker at Olympic Games
- Team USA Women's Hoops: Olympic Reign
- Krzyzewski's Team USA Goes for Gold
- Team USA Adds 1 Gold, 2 Silver as Medals Count Surges to 29
- David Boudia Wins Gold in Men's 10-Meter Platform Diving
- Footballers Give Mexico First-Ever Olympic Gold; Top Brazil in Final
- USA Women Capture Historic 5th-Straight Gold Medal with Win Over France
- Harrower Leads Australia to Bronze in Women's Basketball
- USA Women Take Silver After Loss to Brazil in Volleyball Final
- Brazil Stuns USA for Women's Volleyball Gold
- Japan Claims Women's Volleyball Bronze
- 2012 Olympic Games Women's Volleyball Results
- USA Men Shoot Down Argentina 109-83; Advance to Gold Medal Game
- Jordan Burroughs Delivers Wrestling Gold
- Usain Bolt - Carl Lewis Spat Erupts
- Destinee Hooker: Team USA Volleyball's Not-So-Secret Weapon
- Women's 4x100 Meters Relay: World-Record Pace
- Usain Bolt Makes History with Golden Double
- Women Break 4x100 WR; Men Win 4x400 Silver
- Pau Gasol Leads Spain Past Russia, Into Gold Medal Game
- Women's Volleyball Medal Round Preview: USA vs Brazil; Korea vs Japan
- Women's Volleyball Preview: USA vs Brazil Gold Medal Match
- Russia And Brazil to Clash in Men's Olympic Volleyball Final
- Brazil's World-Class Volleyball Outclasses Italy -- Advance to Olympic Final
- Russia Advances to Men's Volleyball Gold Medal Match
- Team USA Prepares for Olympic Track Relays
- Pistorius Pleased as South Africa Wins Appeal to Compete in 4x400M Relay Final
- Hungary's Eva Risztov Wins Grueling 10km Open Water Race
- Photo Finish
- Britain's Nicola Adams First Woman Boxer to Clinch Gold at Olympics
- Claressa Shields Makes History, Lands Lone Boxing Gold for USA
- Probe Opened into German Rower After Boyfriend Ejected from Games
- USA Women's Soccer: Redemption
- Team USA's Double 1-2 Punch
- Usain Bolt Retains 200 Meter Crown
- Team USA Men Finish 1-2 in Decathlon and Triple Jump
- Manteo Mitchell Breaks Leg During Relay Race, Finishes for Team
- USA Women Defeat Japan to Bag Soccer Gold Medal
- USA Women Defeat Spain 8-5 for First-ever Water Polo Gold
- USA Women Rally Past Australia Advance to Gold Medal Game
- Bulgaria and Italy Have to Turn Odds in Men's Volleyball Semifinals
- Brazil and USA to Fight Once Again for Women's Volleyball Olympic Gold
- Brazil Dominates Japan: Advances to Women's Volleybal Olympic Finals
- Brazil's Women's Volleyball Coach: 'We Deserve This'
- USA Women Advance to Volleyball Final after Routing Korea in Straight Sets
- Brink and Reckermann Win Men's Beach Volleyball Gold in Thriller
- Latvian Pair Beat Dutch Duo for Men's Beach Volleyball Bronze
- Smooth Morning of Qualifying; Team USA Still Leading Decathlon
- LeBron James Triple-Double Powers USA to Semis
- Kirilenko Stars as Russia Advances to Semifinals
- Women's Final Four Top Beach Volleyball Stats at London 2012 Olympic Games
- Women's Beach Volleyball Three-Peat
- Team USA has Momentous, 7-Medal Night at the Track
- Walsh and May-Treanor Win Third Olympic Gold in Women's Beach Volleyball
- Brazil's Juliana and Larissa Fight Back to Win Bronze in Women's Beach Volleyball
- USA Men Halted by Croatia 8-2 in Water Polo Quarterfinals
- Brazil, Italy, Russia and Bulgaria Advance to Men's Volleyball Semis
- USA Olympic Men's Volleyball Team Falls to Italy in Quarterfinals
- Women's Volleyball Semifinal Preview: USA versus Korea
- USA Men 1-2 in Decathlon after Morning Session
- Shock as China's Liu Xiang Crashes out of 110m Hurdles
- Security Alert in Britain After Seven Cameroonian Athletes Disappear
- Track and Field: Four-medal Night for Team USA
- Kessy and Ross Advance to Gold Medal Beach Volleyball Match
- Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh to Play for Gold Again
- Gymnast Aly Raisman Wins Gold in Floor Exercise
- USA Women's Volleyball Team Advances to 4th Straight Olympic Semifinal
- Anthony Davis: Learning Experience
- Defense Stars for USA Women in 91-48 Rout of Canada
- Becky Hammon's Clutch Play Helps Russia Top Turkey
- Melo on Groin Hit by Argentina Player: It was 'Cheap Shot'
- Water Polo: USA Women to Play for Gold
- Jenn Suhr Wins Emotional Gold
- A Suhr Gold
- Team USA Knocks Off Argentina 126-97, Advances to Quarterfinals as Top Seed
- Olympic Beach Volleyball: Gibb and Rosenthal Finish in Fifth
- Man Nabbed For Bottle Toss on Olympic Track Just Before 100M
- Kenya's Kemboi's 'Trial By Fire' Earns Gold in 3000m Steeplechase
- Gold For Italian Campriani in Rifle; Heartbreak For USA's Emmons
- Morgan Lifts US Women's Soccer Team Past Canada, Into Finals
- American Judoka Disqualified for Marijuana Use
- Great Britain Crushes China, Nets First Olympic Basketball Win
- Lin Dan Defends Badminton Crown as China Sweeps Olympic Event
- Andy Murray a Hero After Toppling Federer in Olympic Tennis Final
- Michael Phelps Caps Career with 4x100M Medley Relay Triumph
- Jessica Ennis Brings Joy to Home Fans with Heptathlon Win
- Usain Bolt Eyes Tryout with Manchester United
- Usain Bolt Wins 2nd Consecutive Olympic 100 Gold
- Men's 100-Meters: Race for the Ages
- Sanya Richards-Ross Finally Wins Elusive 400-meter Gold
- Williams Sisters Do It Again: Win Women's Tennis Doubles Gold
- USA Women Top Italy 9-6; Advance to Water Polo Semifinals
- U.S. Women's Volleyball Team Finishes Pool Play Undefeated
- May-Treanor and Walsh Overwhelm Italy to Advance to Semi-Finals
- Kessy and Ross Make it to Olympic Beach Volleyball Semifinals
- Ben Ainslie Tops Finn Event, Becomes Most Decorated Sailor in History
- Gymnast McKayla Maroney Settles for Silver in Vault
- Andy Murray Beats Federer to Capture Olympic Gold
- Top Aussie Coach Comes Out in Embattled Ye Shiwen's Defense
- Tirunesh Dibaba Retains 10,000-Meter Gold in Grand Style
- Bolt and Blake Cruise into 100M Semis; 'Blade-Runner' Stars in 400M
- End of an Era: Michael Phelps Goes Out a Champ
- Serena Williams Achieves Golden Slam
- Gibb and Rosenthal Chart Win over Russia in Men's Beach Volleyball
- May-Treanor and Walsh Continue to Dominate in Women's Beach Volleyball
- The Social Media Games
- London 2012 Olympics Week 1 Recap
- Galen Rupp Wins Historic Silver in Men's 10,000 Meters
- Team USA Blazes Through 100-Meter Sprint Heats
- USA Men Suffer First Water Polo Setback with 11-6 Loss to Serbia
- United States Olympic Men's Volleyball Team Falls to Russia
Copyright © 2012 iHaveNet.com