End of an Era: Michael Phelps Goes Out a Champ
Vicki Michaelis, USOC
Michael Phelps (Photo by: Paul Drinkwater/NBC)
After the eighth day, after his fourth Olympic Games, after his 22nd medal and his 18th gold, Michael Phelps rested.
That is the sum of his case for his place in Olympic history, which he will let judge whether he has earned the title of "Greatest Olympian."
"I've been able to do everything I've wanted," he said Sunday (Aug. 4), after touching the Olympic wall one last time, in the U.S. men's 4x100-meter medley victory. "I've been able to put my mind to the goals I wanted to achieve, and (coach) Bob (Bowman) and I have been able to somehow manage to do every single thing.
"I think if you can say that about your career, there's no need to move forward. Time for other things."
In his last race, Phelps swam a fastest-in-the-field, 50.73-second 100 butterfly leg that gave the U.S. men the lead for good and kept alive their undefeated record in the Olympic medley relay.
The U.S. won in three minutes, 29.35 seconds, nearly two seconds ahead of second-place Japan. Australia was third.
Minutes before, the U.S. women -- Missy Franklin, Allison Schmitt, Rebecca Soni and Dana Vollmer -- set a new world record of three minutes, 52.05 seconds while winning their first Olympic medley relay since 2000.
Such invincibility served as a fitting exclamation point for Phelps' Olympic career.
He was less untouchable in London than he was while winning a record eight gold medals at the 2008 Olympic Games. But he still put his stamp on these Games, winning four gold medals, including individual titles in the 200 individual medley and 100 butterfly, and two silvers in seven events.
"I think, in some ways, it might have been Michael's best Olympics," said Gregg Troy, head coach of the U.S. men's team. "The way he went out with the IM and the butterfly -- the back-to-back swims -- then coming back for the relay. To see him finish like that, in style, is tremendous. I'm happy for him. It's pretty obvious he was happy too."
Phelps' smile was wider, his awareness of everyone and everything around him much greater than it had been at previous Games.
"It just seems like he's really here to enjoy the Games and love the sport and performing," U.S. teammate Dana Vollmer said.
The normally reserved Phelps spoke during a team meeting before the Olympic Games, saying that, for him, the Games are not about the medals.
"Here's a guy who's got 14 gold medals before we went into these Games and he said to the team, 'I'll never remember the 14 medals, but what I'll remember is the card games, the laughs, the jokes, the fun things, the conversations that you have,'" said Brendan Hansen, who swam in the medley relay with Phelps, along with Matt Grevers and Nathan Adrian.
On Sunday, while warming up for the relay, Phelps had a conversation with Bowman, his coach since he was 11, that Bowman said he will remember "as long as I live." "I said to Bob, 'You know, I've looked up to Michael Jordan my whole life because he's done something that nobody else has ever done and he is the greatest basketball player to ever play the game,'" Phelps said. "I said, 'You know what, I've been able to become the best swimmer of all time.' I said, 'We got here together.' And I thanked him."
When Phelps climbed out of the pool, Bowman told him, "That's not fair."
"I said, what's not fair about it? He goes, 'You were in the pool.' I was like, 'Yeah, my tears could hide behind my goggles. Yours were streaming down your face,'" Phelps said.
Phelps' last Olympics got off to an inauspicious start, with a fourth-place finish in an event he had once ruled, the 400 individual medley. But rather than send him reeling, Bowman said that result relieved any pressure to try to repeat the perfection of Beijing.
"We were just saying, 'Well, we might as well enjoy it. Doesn't look like it's going to go too well,'" said Bowman, with a laugh.
Phelps also had to settle for silvers in the 4x100 freestyle and the 200 butterfly -- an event he had not lost at an Olympics or world championships since 2001 -- before closing out his farewell Games with three straight victories.
After it was over, FINA, swimming's international governing body, gave him a trophy inscribed with the words "Michael Phelps" and "The Greatest Olympian of All Time." Such a proclamation is sure to stir debate. Bowman, of course, said there is "no doubt."
"Because not only is it the number, it's the quality," he said. "Eighteen out of 22 gold medals? … I just think the quality of it is so great, nobody can match it."
Not up for debate is the effect Phelps had on swimming.
"He really has opened up our sport and let the world know that swimming is a sport too," said Schmitt, who trains with Phelps and whose relay gold Sunday was her fifth medal of the London Games.
Another medley relay member, Franklin, remembers meeting Phelps at age 13 -- just four years ago -- at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colo., and being "in awe."
In London, she has been a breakout star, winning two individual golds, two relay golds and five medals overall. With her versatility and potential, she could someday challenge Phelps' all-time Olympic medal mark.
"I don't think his shoes will ever be filled," she said. "I think his footsteps are just huge. But hopefully I can kind of make little paths right next to his."
Michael Phelps walks away from the greatest Olympic career in history with no regrets, with the 18 Olympic gold medal winner saying it had 'been a great career and a great journey'
'I did it' says Greatest Olympian Michael Phelps
Fans react after Michael Phelps' performance
2012 London Olympics - videos
- London Throws World's Biggest Party at Closing Ceremony
- London Olympics Photos: Stunning Pictures from the Closing Ceremony
- London Olympics Closing Ceremony Nets Big Ratings for NBC
- Record-Breaking Olympic Games for Team USA
- The Moments That Defined Team USA
- Team USA: The Women's Games
- Team USA Men's Basketball: Defending Champs
- USA Battles Spain for 107-100 Win to Capture Olympic Gold Medal
- Russian Sergey Kirdyapkin Wins Grueling Olympic 50km Walk Gold
- Team USA Wraps Up Impressive London 2012 Games in Track and Field
- American Keflezighi Fourth in Men's Olympic Marathon
- Russia Wins Gold; Brazil and Italy Get Silver and Bronze
- Russia Comes From Behind to Beat Brazil for Men's Volleyball Gold
- Russian Dmitriy Muserskiy Sets Scoring Record on Way to Gold Medal
- Zaytsev Hopes Bronze will Take Italy Back to Top of Men's Volleyball World
- Italy Claims Men's Volleyball Bronze Medal vs Bulgaria
- Jake Varner Wins Freestyle Wrestling Olympic Gold Medal
- Destinee Hooker Named Best Spiker at Olympic Games
- Team USA Women's Hoops: Olympic Reign
- Krzyzewski's Team USA Goes for Gold
- Team USA Adds 1 Gold, 2 Silver as Medals Count Surges to 29
- David Boudia Wins Gold in Men's 10-Meter Platform Diving
- Footballers Give Mexico First-Ever Olympic Gold; Top Brazil in Final
- USA Women Capture Historic 5th-Straight Gold Medal with Win Over France
- Harrower Leads Australia to Bronze in Women's Basketball
- USA Women Take Silver After Loss to Brazil in Volleyball Final
- Brazil Stuns USA for Women's Volleyball Gold
- Japan Claims Women's Volleyball Bronze
- 2012 Olympic Games Women's Volleyball Results
- USA Men Shoot Down Argentina 109-83; Advance to Gold Medal Game
- Jordan Burroughs Delivers Wrestling Gold
- Usain Bolt - Carl Lewis Spat Erupts
- Destinee Hooker: Team USA Volleyball's Not-So-Secret Weapon
- Women's 4x100 Meters Relay: World-Record Pace
- Usain Bolt Makes History with Golden Double
- Women Break 4x100 WR; Men Win 4x400 Silver
- Pau Gasol Leads Spain Past Russia, Into Gold Medal Game
- Women's Volleyball Medal Round Preview: USA vs Brazil; Korea vs Japan
- Women's Volleyball Preview: USA vs Brazil Gold Medal Match
- Russia And Brazil to Clash in Men's Olympic Volleyball Final
- Brazil's World-Class Volleyball Outclasses Italy -- Advance to Olympic Final
- Russia Advances to Men's Volleyball Gold Medal Match
- Team USA Prepares for Olympic Track Relays
- Pistorius Pleased as South Africa Wins Appeal to Compete in 4x400M Relay Final
- Hungary's Eva Risztov Wins Grueling 10km Open Water Race
- Photo Finish
- Britain's Nicola Adams First Woman Boxer to Clinch Gold at Olympics
- Claressa Shields Makes History, Lands Lone Boxing Gold for USA
- Probe Opened into German Rower After Boyfriend Ejected from Games
- USA Women's Soccer: Redemption
- Team USA's Double 1-2 Punch
- Usain Bolt Retains 200 Meter Crown
- Team USA Men Finish 1-2 in Decathlon and Triple Jump
- Manteo Mitchell Breaks Leg During Relay Race, Finishes for Team
- USA Women Defeat Japan to Bag Soccer Gold Medal
- USA Women Defeat Spain 8-5 for First-ever Water Polo Gold
- USA Women Rally Past Australia Advance to Gold Medal Game
- Bulgaria and Italy Have to Turn Odds in Men's Volleyball Semifinals
- Brazil and USA to Fight Once Again for Women's Volleyball Olympic Gold
- Brazil Dominates Japan: Advances to Women's Volleybal Olympic Finals
- Brazil's Women's Volleyball Coach: 'We Deserve This'
- USA Women Advance to Volleyball Final after Routing Korea in Straight Sets
- Brink and Reckermann Win Men's Beach Volleyball Gold in Thriller
- Latvian Pair Beat Dutch Duo for Men's Beach Volleyball Bronze
- Smooth Morning of Qualifying; Team USA Still Leading Decathlon
- LeBron James Triple-Double Powers USA to Semis
- Kirilenko Stars as Russia Advances to Semifinals
- Women's Final Four Top Beach Volleyball Stats at London 2012 Olympic Games
- Women's Beach Volleyball Three-Peat
- Team USA has Momentous, 7-Medal Night at the Track
- Walsh and May-Treanor Win Third Olympic Gold in Women's Beach Volleyball
- Brazil's Juliana and Larissa Fight Back to Win Bronze in Women's Beach Volleyball
- USA Men Halted by Croatia 8-2 in Water Polo Quarterfinals
- Brazil, Italy, Russia and Bulgaria Advance to Men's Volleyball Semis
- USA Olympic Men's Volleyball Team Falls to Italy in Quarterfinals
- Women's Volleyball Semifinal Preview: USA versus Korea
- USA Men 1-2 in Decathlon after Morning Session
- Shock as China's Liu Xiang Crashes out of 110m Hurdles
- Security Alert in Britain After Seven Cameroonian Athletes Disappear
- Track and Field: Four-medal Night for Team USA
- Kessy and Ross Advance to Gold Medal Beach Volleyball Match
- Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh to Play for Gold Again
- Gymnast Aly Raisman Wins Gold in Floor Exercise
- USA Women's Volleyball Team Advances to 4th Straight Olympic Semifinal
- Anthony Davis: Learning Experience
- Defense Stars for USA Women in 91-48 Rout of Canada
- Becky Hammon's Clutch Play Helps Russia Top Turkey
- Melo on Groin Hit by Argentina Player: It was 'Cheap Shot'
- Water Polo: USA Women to Play for Gold
- Jenn Suhr Wins Emotional Gold
- A Suhr Gold
- Team USA Knocks Off Argentina 126-97, Advances to Quarterfinals as Top Seed
- Olympic Beach Volleyball: Gibb and Rosenthal Finish in Fifth
- Man Nabbed For Bottle Toss on Olympic Track Just Before 100M
- Kenya's Kemboi's 'Trial By Fire' Earns Gold in 3000m Steeplechase
- Gold For Italian Campriani in Rifle; Heartbreak For USA's Emmons
- Morgan Lifts US Women's Soccer Team Past Canada, Into Finals
- American Judoka Disqualified for Marijuana Use
- Great Britain Crushes China, Nets First Olympic Basketball Win
- Lin Dan Defends Badminton Crown as China Sweeps Olympic Event
- Andy Murray a Hero After Toppling Federer in Olympic Tennis Final
- Michael Phelps Caps Career with 4x100M Medley Relay Triumph
- Jessica Ennis Brings Joy to Home Fans with Heptathlon Win
- Usain Bolt Eyes Tryout with Manchester United
- Usain Bolt Wins 2nd Consecutive Olympic 100 Gold
- Men's 100-Meters: Race for the Ages
- Sanya Richards-Ross Finally Wins Elusive 400-meter Gold
- Williams Sisters Do It Again: Win Women's Tennis Doubles Gold
- USA Women Top Italy 9-6; Advance to Water Polo Semifinals
- U.S. Women's Volleyball Team Finishes Pool Play Undefeated
- May-Treanor and Walsh Overwhelm Italy to Advance to Semi-Finals
- Kessy and Ross Make it to Olympic Beach Volleyball Semifinals
- Ben Ainslie Tops Finn Event, Becomes Most Decorated Sailor in History
- Gymnast McKayla Maroney Settles for Silver in Vault
- Andy Murray Beats Federer to Capture Olympic Gold
- Top Aussie Coach Comes Out in Embattled Ye Shiwen's Defense
- Tirunesh Dibaba Retains 10,000-Meter Gold in Grand Style
- Bolt and Blake Cruise into 100M Semis; 'Blade-Runner' Stars in 400M
- End of an Era: Michael Phelps Goes Out a Champ
- Serena Williams Achieves Golden Slam
- Gibb and Rosenthal Chart Win over Russia in Men's Beach Volleyball
- May-Treanor and Walsh Continue to Dominate in Women's Beach Volleyball
- The Social Media Games
- London 2012 Olympics Week 1 Recap
- Galen Rupp Wins Historic Silver in Men's 10,000 Meters
- Team USA Blazes Through 100-Meter Sprint Heats
- USA Men Suffer First Water Polo Setback with 11-6 Loss to Serbia
- United States Olympic Men's Volleyball Team Falls to Russia
- LeBron James Helps Rally USA Men to 99-94 Victory Over Lithuania
- United States Overwhelms Czech Republic in Women's Basketball
- American Olympic Boxer's Loss Overturned
- Leuris Pupo Brings Cheers to Medal-Starved Cuba
- United States Women Pursue Soccer Gold After Crushing New Zealand
- Brits Strike It Rich in Olympic Cycling After Opening-Day Blunder
- American Swimmers Roll On
- Golden Run Continues: Michael Phelps Swells Medals Tally to 21
- Federer Escapes del Potro, Advances to Olympic Final vs Murray
- Michael Phelps: Triple Golds in the Pool
- Gabby Douglas: America's Newest Sweetheart
- Guor Marial Once Ran For His Life; Now He's Running For Gold
- Lithuanian Spectator Arrested for Nazi Salute
- Sharapova and Serena Battle for Olympic Tennis Gold
- Brazil's Yane Marques Carrying a Dream of a Nation
- Team USA Basketballers Draw Praise from Dream Team
- USA Sets All-Time Olympic Scoring Record in Blowout of Nigeria
- Team USA vs Nigeria Post-Game Quotes
- Team USA vs Nigeria Box Score
- Spain Survives Great Britain in Men's Basketball
- Olympic Volleyball: U.S. Men Upset Brazil
- Gabby Douglas Captures All-Around Event Gymnastics Gold
- Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh Win in 3
- Gibb and Rosenthal Win Fast, Win Pool
- Olympic Volleyball: U.S. Women Trim China to Stay Undefeated
- Michael Phelps Eclipses Overall Medal Count Record
- Federer and Wawrinka Stunned in Olympic Doubles
- Badminton Fixing Scandal Breaks Out at Olympics
- Wiggins Clinches Time Trial Gold
- France Trips Canada - Books Trip to Women's Basketball Quarterfinals
- Tancredi Scores Twice as Canada Moves on With Draw Against Sweden
- Army Sergeant Hancock Shoots Down Skeet Gold for Second Time
- Bradley Wiggins Firm Favorite in Olympic Cycling
- Battered and Bruised Spain Overcomes Australia in Men's Olympic Basketball
- Djokovic On Course for Olympic Showdown with Nemesis Federer
- Ruta Meilutyte Sets New Benchmark in Olympic Swimming
- United States Women Gymnasts Capture First Team Gold Since 1996
- Munich Massacre Survivor Remembers
- Michael Phelps Equals Medals Mark
- Djokovic Rips Roddick, Advances to Third Round at Olympics
- Spain Routs Australia for Second Olympic Basketball Win
- Swimmer Missy Franklin New Face of American Olympians
- Diving Queen Wu Mingxia Nets Hat-Trick
- Chinese Teen Swim Sensation Says She's Clean
Copyright © 2012 iHaveNet.com