Women's Beach Volleyball Three-Peat
Vicki Michaelis, USA Volleyball
Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh during their golden moment after winning their third straight Olympic gold medal
On a sand court in the same neighborhood as Buckingham Palace, at a beach volleyball final attended by Prince Harry, Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh Jennings continued their Olympic reign.
May-Treanor and Walsh Jennings won their third consecutive Olympic gold with a 2-0 (21-16, 21-16) win over fellow Americans Jennifer Kessy and April Ross on Wednesday (Aug. 8).
"It's up there with Michael Phelps, probably," Ross said of the historic significance of the dynasty she and her teammate fell victim to at Horse Guards Parade.
Phelps became the most decorated Olympian of all time in London, finishing his career with 22 medals in four Olympic Games. May-Treanor and Walsh Jennings went 21-0 in their three Olympic Games, losing just one set along the way, and now own three of the five gold medals awarded in beach volleyball's Olympic history.
Like Phelps, May-Treanor is planning to retire after these Games.
"It's time for me to be a wife," said May-Treanor, 35, whose husband, Matt Treanor, is a Los Angeles Dodgers catcher. "I want to be a mom. And share time with my family.
"My mind says it's time, my body says it's time, and it's the right time."
The finality of it made Walsh Jennings especially emotional at every stage of the celebration -- after a Ross serve sailed long on match point, on the medals podium and in the postmatch press conference, where she said to May-Treanor, "I'm glad you went out the way you deserve."
In addition to the three Olympic golds, May-Treanor and Walsh Jennings have three world titles (2003, 2005 and 2007).
Kessy called them the best team of all time. "It doesn't feel too bad to be second to them," she said.
Despite life changes -- namely, the births of Walsh Jennings' two sons -- and setbacks, including May-Treanor rupturing her Achilles tendon while practicing for "Dancing With the Stars" shortly after the 2008 Games, U.S. beach volleyball's most famous and successful twosome again finished second to none at the Olympics.
"I still feel like, â€˜Somebody pinch me that this just happened,'" May-Treanor said. "We've been through a lot the past couple years and really had to work on a lot of things, both on and off the court."
They went separate ways after the 2008 Games, with May-Treanor saying she was done playing and Walsh Jennings starting her family.
Both played briefly with Nicole Branagh before they reunited last year to make a run for London.
They seemed more vulnerable than ever before coming into the London Games. They finished second more than first in 2011. They had two ninth-place finishes earlier this season. The two-time defending Olympic champions were seeded third for these Games.
"I never really understood what peaking meant until this time around," Walsh Jennings said. "I just wanted to be good all the time. We had a really terrible year up until about a month ago."
They lost their first set in Olympic competition to Austria during round-robin matches but seemed to return to their usual invincible ways as they marched toward the final.
In the final, they were flawless, the silver-medal winners said. "I don't even know if they made any mistakes," Kessy said. "They didn't give us any openings."
May-Treanor and Walsh Jennings were 27-5 all-time against their American opponents coming into the final. They had lost to them once in three matches this year.
"A big reason Misty and I are gold medalists is because of those girls," Walsh Jennings said. "They push us so hard."
Kessy, 35, said she will play one more year but likely won't continue until the 2016 Games in Rio de Janeiro. That will leave the 30-year old Ross looking for a new teammate.
Asked whether that might be Walsh Jennings, 33, who also plans to continue playing, Ross said: "I want to play with the best player in Rio, so it's definitely a possibility."
Asked about Ross, Walsh Jennings said: "She's someone I would be honored to play with."
Those, of course, are decisions for another time. Wednesday was about celebrating the three-peat and the all-American final.
"For us to meet in the gold-medal match, it says a lot about our sport, a lot about the teams up here," May-Treanor said. "I'm happy about the four of us really sharing this moment. They have no reason to hang their heads."
That it happened in a 2012 Olympic venue bordered by Big Ben, with a view of the Houses of Parliament and the London Eye, gave it a "British tint," Walsh Jennings said.
Kessy and Ross saw Prince Harry arrive on their way into the match. "We actually thought the cameras were for us," Ross said. "We're really stoked that he thought it was worthwhile to come out to watch."
The beach volleyball version of the night's royalty on hand, May-Treanor and Walsh Jennings, did not have a brush with the prince.
"There's a dinner at their house tomorrow," May-Treanor joked.
Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh Jennings won their third straight gold medal in Olympic beach volleyball on Wednesday. The pair defeated fellow Americans Jennifer Kessy and April Ross 21-16, 21-16. (Aug. 8)
Kerri Walsh and Misty May-Treanor Women's Beach Volleyball Three-Peat
2012 London Olympics - videos
- London Throws World's Biggest Party at Closing Ceremony
- London Olympics Photos: Stunning Pictures from the Closing Ceremony
- London Olympics Closing Ceremony Nets Big Ratings for NBC
- Record-Breaking Olympic Games for Team USA
- The Moments That Defined Team USA
- Team USA: The Women's Games
- Team USA Men's Basketball: Defending Champs
- USA Battles Spain for 107-100 Win to Capture Olympic Gold Medal
- Russian Sergey Kirdyapkin Wins Grueling Olympic 50km Walk Gold
- Team USA Wraps Up Impressive London 2012 Games in Track and Field
- American Keflezighi Fourth in Men's Olympic Marathon
- Russia Wins Gold; Brazil and Italy Get Silver and Bronze
- Russia Comes From Behind to Beat Brazil for Men's Volleyball Gold
- Russian Dmitriy Muserskiy Sets Scoring Record on Way to Gold Medal
- Zaytsev Hopes Bronze will Take Italy Back to Top of Men's Volleyball World
- Italy Claims Men's Volleyball Bronze Medal vs Bulgaria
- Jake Varner Wins Freestyle Wrestling Olympic Gold Medal
- Destinee Hooker Named Best Spiker at Olympic Games
- Team USA Women's Hoops: Olympic Reign
- Krzyzewski's Team USA Goes for Gold
- Team USA Adds 1 Gold, 2 Silver as Medals Count Surges to 29
- David Boudia Wins Gold in Men's 10-Meter Platform Diving
- Footballers Give Mexico First-Ever Olympic Gold; Top Brazil in Final
- USA Women Capture Historic 5th-Straight Gold Medal with Win Over France
- Harrower Leads Australia to Bronze in Women's Basketball
- USA Women Take Silver After Loss to Brazil in Volleyball Final
- Brazil Stuns USA for Women's Volleyball Gold
- Japan Claims Women's Volleyball Bronze
- 2012 Olympic Games Women's Volleyball Results
- USA Men Shoot Down Argentina 109-83; Advance to Gold Medal Game
- Jordan Burroughs Delivers Wrestling Gold
- Usain Bolt - Carl Lewis Spat Erupts
- Destinee Hooker: Team USA Volleyball's Not-So-Secret Weapon
- Women's 4x100 Meters Relay: World-Record Pace
- Usain Bolt Makes History with Golden Double
- Women Break 4x100 WR; Men Win 4x400 Silver
- Pau Gasol Leads Spain Past Russia, Into Gold Medal Game
- Women's Volleyball Medal Round Preview: USA vs Brazil; Korea vs Japan
- Women's Volleyball Preview: USA vs Brazil Gold Medal Match
- Russia And Brazil to Clash in Men's Olympic Volleyball Final
- Brazil's World-Class Volleyball Outclasses Italy -- Advance to Olympic Final
- Russia Advances to Men's Volleyball Gold Medal Match
- Team USA Prepares for Olympic Track Relays
- Pistorius Pleased as South Africa Wins Appeal to Compete in 4x400M Relay Final
- Hungary's Eva Risztov Wins Grueling 10km Open Water Race
- Photo Finish
- Britain's Nicola Adams First Woman Boxer to Clinch Gold at Olympics
- Claressa Shields Makes History, Lands Lone Boxing Gold for USA
- Probe Opened into German Rower After Boyfriend Ejected from Games
- USA Women's Soccer: Redemption
- Team USA's Double 1-2 Punch
- Usain Bolt Retains 200 Meter Crown
- Team USA Men Finish 1-2 in Decathlon and Triple Jump
- Manteo Mitchell Breaks Leg During Relay Race, Finishes for Team
- USA Women Defeat Japan to Bag Soccer Gold Medal
- USA Women Defeat Spain 8-5 for First-ever Water Polo Gold
- USA Women Rally Past Australia Advance to Gold Medal Game
- Bulgaria and Italy Have to Turn Odds in Men's Volleyball Semifinals
- Brazil and USA to Fight Once Again for Women's Volleyball Olympic Gold
- Brazil Dominates Japan: Advances to Women's Volleybal Olympic Finals
- Brazil's Women's Volleyball Coach: 'We Deserve This'
- USA Women Advance to Volleyball Final after Routing Korea in Straight Sets
- Brink and Reckermann Win Men's Beach Volleyball Gold in Thriller
- Latvian Pair Beat Dutch Duo for Men's Beach Volleyball Bronze
- Smooth Morning of Qualifying; Team USA Still Leading Decathlon
- LeBron James Triple-Double Powers USA to Semis
- Kirilenko Stars as Russia Advances to Semifinals
- Women's Final Four Top Beach Volleyball Stats at London 2012 Olympic Games
- Women's Beach Volleyball Three-Peat
- Team USA has Momentous, 7-Medal Night at the Track
- Walsh and May-Treanor Win Third Olympic Gold in Women's Beach Volleyball
- Brazil's Juliana and Larissa Fight Back to Win Bronze in Women's Beach Volleyball
- USA Men Halted by Croatia 8-2 in Water Polo Quarterfinals
- Brazil, Italy, Russia and Bulgaria Advance to Men's Volleyball Semis
- USA Olympic Men's Volleyball Team Falls to Italy in Quarterfinals
- Women's Volleyball Semifinal Preview: USA versus Korea
- USA Men 1-2 in Decathlon after Morning Session
- Shock as China's Liu Xiang Crashes out of 110m Hurdles
- Security Alert in Britain After Seven Cameroonian Athletes Disappear
- Track and Field: Four-medal Night for Team USA
- Kessy and Ross Advance to Gold Medal Beach Volleyball Match
- Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh to Play for Gold Again
- Gymnast Aly Raisman Wins Gold in Floor Exercise
- USA Women's Volleyball Team Advances to 4th Straight Olympic Semifinal
- Anthony Davis: Learning Experience
- Defense Stars for USA Women in 91-48 Rout of Canada
- Becky Hammon's Clutch Play Helps Russia Top Turkey
- Melo on Groin Hit by Argentina Player: It was 'Cheap Shot'
- Water Polo: USA Women to Play for Gold
- Jenn Suhr Wins Emotional Gold
- A Suhr Gold
- Team USA Knocks Off Argentina 126-97, Advances to Quarterfinals as Top Seed
- Olympic Beach Volleyball: Gibb and Rosenthal Finish in Fifth
- Man Nabbed For Bottle Toss on Olympic Track Just Before 100M
- Kenya's Kemboi's 'Trial By Fire' Earns Gold in 3000m Steeplechase
- Gold For Italian Campriani in Rifle; Heartbreak For USA's Emmons
- Morgan Lifts US Women's Soccer Team Past Canada, Into Finals
- American Judoka Disqualified for Marijuana Use
- Great Britain Crushes China, Nets First Olympic Basketball Win
- Lin Dan Defends Badminton Crown as China Sweeps Olympic Event
- Andy Murray a Hero After Toppling Federer in Olympic Tennis Final
- Michael Phelps Caps Career with 4x100M Medley Relay Triumph
- Jessica Ennis Brings Joy to Home Fans with Heptathlon Win
- Usain Bolt Eyes Tryout with Manchester United
- Usain Bolt Wins 2nd Consecutive Olympic 100 Gold
- Men's 100-Meters: Race for the Ages
- Sanya Richards-Ross Finally Wins Elusive 400-meter Gold
- Williams Sisters Do It Again: Win Women's Tennis Doubles Gold
- USA Women Top Italy 9-6; Advance to Water Polo Semifinals
- U.S. Women's Volleyball Team Finishes Pool Play Undefeated
- May-Treanor and Walsh Overwhelm Italy to Advance to Semi-Finals
- Kessy and Ross Make it to Olympic Beach Volleyball Semifinals
- Ben Ainslie Tops Finn Event, Becomes Most Decorated Sailor in History
- Gymnast McKayla Maroney Settles for Silver in Vault
- Andy Murray Beats Federer to Capture Olympic Gold
- Top Aussie Coach Comes Out in Embattled Ye Shiwen's Defense
- Tirunesh Dibaba Retains 10,000-Meter Gold in Grand Style
- Bolt and Blake Cruise into 100M Semis; 'Blade-Runner' Stars in 400M
- End of an Era: Michael Phelps Goes Out a Champ
- Serena Williams Achieves Golden Slam
- Gibb and Rosenthal Chart Win over Russia in Men's Beach Volleyball
- May-Treanor and Walsh Continue to Dominate in Women's Beach Volleyball
- The Social Media Games
- London 2012 Olympics Week 1 Recap
- Galen Rupp Wins Historic Silver in Men's 10,000 Meters
- Team USA Blazes Through 100-Meter Sprint Heats
- USA Men Suffer First Water Polo Setback with 11-6 Loss to Serbia
- United States Olympic Men's Volleyball Team Falls to Russia
Copyright © 2012 iHaveNet.com